Wednesday 7 January 2015

Donnellee

Donnellee

Driving on the highway I’m heading nowhere
I feel somewhat a bit rejected
Of thinking of someone that I’ll never see again
From a day long ago and forgotten
She never told me of her intentions
Of if she’s going stay or if she’s going
Or what she really wants or what’s she know
And I feel like we’re going in circles
Circumstances beyond our control
Ain’t nothing we can do about it
But sit back, sit back and wonder

Donnellee, Donnellee
Can’t you see, can’t you see
What you mean, mean to me
Donnellee, Donnellee

I know that there’s something here to address dear
So many years of hit and misses
It takes so long just getting to this                           
Liking someone just to take the risk
And I do hope that the feeling’s mutual
Of a connection that is actual
And don’t you think that this could be a wonder
When we’re together late at night
Holding you as we turn out the light
In sight it must be right
To even think we can take this to flight

And so it comes down to the final scene here
Of what you feel inside and still believe in
You seem to think that you’re the victim
Giving up and then abandon
It’s not that I quit caring anyhow
Or share the fact that it’s always something
But I sense the fact you and I are grounded
In our ways so set that they can’t be changed
Same old reasons that can’t be explained
But all we do is go through the motions
Why can’t you for once mean just what you say?

C2007

Sometimes changing the words to Donna Lee when I play this live but this comes from the Highway Home album (2007) and basically a combination of two songs combined into one.  I had a co worker that was actually named Donnellee but that song isn't about her.  I was trying to write a perfect country song with an acoustic slant and this was the end result.  The final verse may have been referenced to Isabella, the woman that I based a half year relationship of mostly downs and not ups on.  The more I sang out the words, the more bitter they become to the last verse, unlike the first two verses of a promising love.  I may have based this on a E harmony or Match dot com commercial of finding true love but in knowing myself, I tend to be the biggest savatager of relationships.  History has shown that quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.