Friday 20 February 2015

It's My Time

Gather around men, who I grew up with
My old friends that I used to scruff with
I need you round me at this time
You've all had your turn to cry
An old friend stood closely by

FRIENDS OF MINE-stand by me, cuz it's my time

It's my time
IT'S MY Time


Gather round girls that I used to play house with
Come here girl I first kissed on the mouth with
I need your tenderness so kind
You've all had your misty eyes
An old friend stood by to dry

FRIENDS OF MINE-please stand by me cuz it's my time.

Written by John D Loudermilk  1967

Done by my offshoot band The Wapsipinicon Dreamers for a aborted album, I first heard this from George Hamilton IV who passed away last year.  The dark and starkness is the beauty of this song and makes me think of long ago forgotten girls that grew up in my neighborhood, that I walked some home from school and played baseball/football with the guys and sucked at it (See the lyrics to Home for further subject matters).

George Hamilton was a teen idol later a country star and would record folk songs from the likes of Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen and Gordon Lightfoot to name a few. 

I guess this song is of needing a outlet of comfort but for the past couple hours it got me into thinking about my childhood past .  I tend to think my high school years were the darkest of my time, basically of letting a bully make my life a living hell at time.  To which I still wonder about the aforementioned Gregory K, closet geek turned gooney goon the past two years of high school and wondering what i had to make him to be so Goddamned jealous of me.  Penis envy maybe?  Hell, he was a janitor at Kresge's years ago and I'd be in the dollar bins and he be smirking up at to me.  Hindsight should have told me to go tell the manager about him not doing his job.  What bothers me to this day that I never stood up to the douchebag, although when we first met, I think he didn't have this anger toward me until a something went too far and he went ballistic and wailed on me after study hall and I just laughed at him.  Hindsight should have told me then and there to nut punch him or go after him like I do on my drums.  One of us would have not been alive if that happen.  However, after school I could not get away from him or his late flunkie friend Rick O (RIP) or having Gregory  either throwing tomatos at me on the way home after a football game or him shooting a air gun, which should have been reported at that time, but I kept it inside.  Felt sorry for the guy who's Love interest had a bigger size than he.  But I never stopped to think that he'd be so jealous of me for even living, when he had the love interest to which he would post all over his car, (of course it never last, teenage love never does).   I suppose it was a good thing we didn't have social media back then.  It would have been ugly.  I probably would have shot him, then shoot myself and then kick his ass to Purgatory.  He would dealing with a vengeful spirit. 

Although he still lives in this area, I have yet to see him.  Time and age might make us look different and perhaps wisdom comes into play as well.  I wish him well but I do wish back then I could have stood up for myself and nut punch him.  I probably sleep better at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.