Monday 15 February 2016

Highlights From The Valentines Day Popcorn Jam

Lineup:
Dan Hartman-Guitar and Vocals
Tim Duffy-Keyboards, guitar and harmonica
Jay Dean-Bass Guitar
Barb Myers-Guitar
Crabapple Smith-Drums
Bob Gleason-Harmonica 


Music Director: Tim Duffy


Where to start.  Photo credits are by Julie Gordon, who when she shows up to jams, been known to take pictures.  God bless her.  The main hosts were The Acoustic Kitties shown with Tim Duffy. He's such a lucky man in such good company.




There was some doubt that I would show up, we had a clipper going through and about 3 inches of snow fell on Sunday.  The Townedger sat in a couple numbers, with the Acoustic Kitties playing the first hour long set.  In The Attic followed after the break.  Mike Lint played drums on Hotel California.


Blue Scratch played later in the afternoon,  (L to R-Jay Dean, Matt Johnson, Jeorgia Robison)




Despite being stuck with the wintertime flu for the past three weeks, I managed not to cough through my set and still looked somewhat presentable despite not shaving and feeling like crap. Ready to rock out on the few songs selected during my set.




Dan Hartman and Barb Myers teamed up with me and Jay Dean on a few songs.  Three of them were Dan's usual 50s country rock likings, You're Sixteen, I'm Ready, Pin Up Beauty Queen, (I'm sure that's not the right song) before we brought the house down with a rowdy version of I Saw Her Standing There.  I do love the way Dan does that "bluegrass" guitar lead.  Barb, too was under the flu cold bug as well.  I played alongside her earlier in the year when she bought out Creep by Radiohead.  She always throws a challenge when she takes the stage.




Barb again.




Bob Gleason.  Excellent harmonica player.




Last but not least, Terry McDowell.  He drums in at least four other bands I know of (Flex, Lab Rats, Threshold, Toxic Blonde).  Like Julie, Terry has been one of my biggest supporters of getting back into the music scene and can talk drums most of the night.  And he's kind enough to let me bash on his drum set during these jam sessions and otherwise.  Heck of a nice guy and a good friend.




In The Attic have been playing off and on on the weekends, lately they been getting more exposure playing down at Gabe's In Iowa City.  They been working on a brand new EP and should be worth checking out once they get it done.  They do their own original songs, a change of pace from Mustang Sally, to which I have to say hasn't been done for three straight weeks!  A record upon itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.