Monday 11 April 2016

A Wanted Hobbyist For Your Band?

We Are The Townedgers.  We Rock.  We Roll.  Expect Us.

But there's something other called The Wiley Kats, this new venture that I have found myself in. With Tim Wiley and Ben Barnard, who has practice space AND a drum set already set up.  Ben is 20 years younger than both Tim and myself but he's amazed me with a old record collection of rock and roll classics, Robin Trower, Frank Marino,  Pat Travers, Spooky Tooth, even Fat Mattress.  I think Ben would fit better in a metal band, in fact he does have a metal side project.  He's a good guy and has surprised me in his playing.

I have heard conflicting stories about Tim and some of other musicians around town.  Which might explain why he hasn't been in any bands of late.  I have a feeling that he's been upfront with me on this band and as long as he remains upfront with me, I don't forsee any problem.  But I continue to tell Tim that my job comes first, I remain a hobbyist to this band (The Townedgers will always be my first creative output) but The Wiley Kats are more in line to make more money playing live gigs.  As long there's not a conflict of interest, I'll help anyway I can to put the groove into the music. 

I'm amazed of the compliments that I have been getting about my playing, especially the last weekend when I was dropping drumsticks and keeping the beat with one drumstick.  Ernest, The Soul Guy actually thought about getting something together.  I love the way he revisits the song The Twist and puts the soul into Bring It On Home.  I'm more happier just to keep it to the Popcorn Jam but the guy has really made me  revisit the old Al Jackson Jr groove.  Nobody does soul music anymore, nor does soul drumming.  But it's something I might willing to try, if the stars align just right.



The weekend Popcorn Jam, Jon Wilson (Left, Dan Johnson Middle, Ryan Plelan Right) brought out an marching bass drum to try on us unsuspecting jammers along with his cymbal, high hat, snare lineup.   Jon is a professional drummer, who does play in the Parlor City blues jams on Tuesday and a few others and is a part of whatever Dan Johnson or Brook Hoover or Skeeter Davis does.  Wilson's less is more drumset, I have to really keep things simple and to try to play in a stripped down style.  It's not easy but I do adjust to what he brings, be it a 22 inch Sabian Hand Hammered Ride or 16 inch Artisan/Sabian High Hats.   I quizzed him on how many drumsets does he have and he said something like 6 or 7 different sets. Somewhere in his house, he has a John Bonham type of Ludwigs.  Wilson might be one of the tightest drummers out there in the CR music scene and he does so much with so little.   I know he has a rapport with Dan Johnson and Brook Hoover when it comes to the Popcorn Jam.   He tends to lose patience with drummers using his drumsticks or I ask one too many questions but usually it's time to pack up and go, he's wants to pack up and go home (or to some other gig) with little chit chat.   But he was quite pleasant while talking to me on about his drum setup earlier on.  But then again he can pick and choose of whom to jam with, professional folks can do that. And those Vault Hi Hats are not cheap. Musicians Friend has a 14 inch for 582 dollars!  But I do thank Jon for letting me test drive them for about 45 minutes this Sunday.  I still like my Quick Beats Hats better though.

For the past couple weeks, I have returned to using the Zildjian Impulse crashes and ride.  Which might explain why I might be playing much louder than before.  But in the previous jam with Kim Bean's electric drum set there's a more intense sort of playing.  Even in the pictures the look of  intensity has returned for the first time since the Tyrus years.  Each day I continue to practice hard on the drums, I get some of that drive and spirit that I thought I lost a long time ago.   It might pay off for the next Townedgers project or if and when The Wiley Kats do play.  We have thought up about 20 songs to practice with and getting familiar with with The Kats.   There has been talk about The Kats doing Rumors in June or July and perhaps Cooters.  I know the stage of Rumors could fit the whole drums I have but Cooters it would be the one Bass drum, one snare, one cymbal thing.  And they may not want me there.  It might get loud.

Bring ear plugs.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.