Tuesday 20 December 2016

12-20-16 Parlor City Jam With Bob Dorr/Jeff Petersen (Archives)

 Songs played

Move It On Over
I'm A Man
House Of The Rising Sun
Four In The Morning
Green Onions
Rocking My Life Away

Jeff Petersen-Vocals and guitar
Bob Dorr-Harmonica and vocals
Dan Johnson-Bass
R.Smith-Drums
Tom Giblin-Keys

This came up on my memories file on FB.  This might have been my debut at Parlor City five years ago but then again I might have been there earlier on occasion.

This was a trial by fire.  Gibby doing his best to keep me in time with the rest of the guys.  There was another bass player there but time hasn't enabled me to remember his name.  I doubt if it was Mark Awad. Parlor City at that time, had the Tuesday Blues Jam (which ceased after March 2020) and most of the who who's in the blues market were there.  Alas, in this day and age COVID has made a lot of people not go to the jams anymore.

What I remembered most was the way Bob can sing through the harp mic and gave I'm A Man a more menacing sound.   While Bob was kind enough, I found him somewhat unapproachable, he made it clear that the way he had his drums it was best to leave them there at the way they were set up.  The crash ride cymbal really was down around my knee, a way too low for my liking but I worked around it.   Jeff, the guitar player was more friendlier and we could talk tunes.   Bob does have an extensive knowledge of music, after all, he's been a part of KUNI for over 40 years at least.  His Backtracks and Blue Avenue shows on the weekend are must listens.  And yeah, I need to send him a check in the mail for the KUNI public fundraiser.

While Bob n me have sometimes barely tolerate each other on FB, I do respect him.  Sometimes, when I did do the jam, I could look over and he would be staring intently through his shades and he was like that when the Marion Blues Jam took part a year ago.  I don't think I'm that hard to get to know, in fact Bob is invited to join me on a bargain hunt around Waterloo and hang a while.  

There might have been pictures taken of this jam but at this point, it's all a memory to me. 

The next day, I made my Acoustic Adventures debut at Checkers, feeling finally confident that I can play guitar and sing.  The rest, shall we say, is history 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.