Sunday 3 May 2020

Quarantine Sessions-With The Black Spy

Hosted by Steve Black Wolf

and Featuring.

Virginia Harlow
Steve Black Wolf
Richard Edward Butler
Tommy Bruner
Guitar Dave Bonham
Donna Jo Eisner
And the Black Spy


(Ed and the gang,  Tommy is out of the picture.  Ed took all photos)

For the first time since 1997, I returned back to N St since moving to Viola from here.  The place hasn't changed all that much.  Steve lives across from the old duplex, which is up for sale.  I wonder if it's still an sauna in the summertime.


(Virginia, DJ, Black Spy)

For songs, basically the usual suspects.  Donna Jo helped on Sundown,  Ed played cornet on For What's It's Worth, and Dave sang Willin'  Ed sang I Shot The Sheriff.  Tommy played a few numbers and yours truly did Fox On The Run.  And we did two versions of Turn The Page, the second ended the jam, right before 6 oclock.


(Black Spy and Guitar Dave)

The neighbors gave me five dollars to play Wagon Wheel.  I knew the chords but not the words.  I didn't figure this to be a paying gig but I scored 10 dollars for the fun and effort.  To which I blew up on a cashew chicken supper at the Mt Vernon Road Chinese Place.

I suppose if I wanted to, I could probably move downstairs under Steve's place.  I spend more time here in CR than I do at my own place.  Dave has moved back into town and once again is Julie's roommate.    Do I miss being in that part of town?  At times, yes.  The N Street neighborhood is fairly safe and not too much of the ghetto riff raff.   But I do enjoy the peace and quiet of Stone City.  And that town and Waubeek isn't too far away either.



While the Corona Pandemic is raging non stop, a lot of the folks around the area have started to return back to a normal way of life.  A record number of people cruising 1st avenue, something that we have not seen since the early 80s and last night's cruise was 10 times as many.  My brother said it took him an hour and half to go from the Williams/16th Ave to the Town n Country Shopping Center last night. 

When it comes to opening up the state to return back to playing live or bargain hunt,  I'm on the fence.  While the Corvid19 virus is out and about, taking people left n right, I also think there's other ways of dying.  I'm certain I will be silenced by a heart attack mowing the yard.   Death is a part of life and someday I will be dead.  No running away from that.  But all I can do is continue to live my life the best way that I see fit.   Today's jam, we did social distancing and stayed six feet away from each other. 

I'm not going to win over people with my guitar playing.  I play rhythm and it goes right for the Townedgers and all the songs I do solo.   If I don't get too self conscious and being ultra critical, I can still play and sing.  This year, I actually more concerned about playing drums since the March shut down.  But where the road leads, I will continue to follow it till it leads me back to my couch and the endless DVDs of old TV re runs.

But till then, I still got a new album to complete and find some sort of art work to make decent CD copies of the next album.  The self doubt is growing, but I refuse to let it dictate my life at the moment.  Once the new album is done, I'll weigh the pros and cons of playing.

By then we'll know the answer to that equation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.