Friday 24 January 2014

53

So I turned 53 today and basically it's just any other day around here.  The traffic sucked, I hit every fucking red light in town but I managed to spend the afternoon having lunch with my mom at Pizza Ranch and later dinner with my best friend Russ and his wife at Cancun later on.   And been trying to learn Behind Blue Eyes for inclusion on a record later on but the middle guitar part continues to play havoc and still haven't figured out how to cheat on the B minor chord on the power middle eight.  I'm sure with more time and practice I might figure it out, but if not, probably just keep practicing on it till the time is right to record it.

I wasn't in a very good mood when I finally made it to Wells Fargo to get my check cashed and pay bills but found a sympathetic ear in the teller up there, LaSkeesha a black woman with a funny sense of humor.  We talked a good ten minutes about traffic, red lights and found that we had a common bond of red light hatred in this hell hole town.  Plus this winter has been cold and brutal and below zero since the start of December.  She talked about saving up to move down to Miami.  Had to admit she was kinda cute and probably could have had me till she talked about me not having a savings account there, plus she's a good 3 decades younger than myself.  For friendly conversation that was good enough and as far I go.  Thought I would pay Bruce a visit at the pawnshop but when I saw him stalking out to his car not looking so happy I figured I'd keep my distance.

There really hasn't much to do this winter.  Too cold to go anywhere and the last couple weeks talking about the good times of Tyrus and the other band.  Russ and I kinda discussed that over burritos and rice and beans.  But for the rhythm section I think we have done fairly well despite the odds and differences of opinion.  I know for a fact that when we jamming with a friend of his, we hadn't played together in over 10 years but after a couple songs we were back in sync so to speak.  Kinda like riding a bike, you always know how to ride it, even though it might take a while to get back into the swing of things.  But being over at his home for the first time in years, I noticed he's added a couple more bass guitars to his lineup. 

But for Tyrus, I think the reunion on Facebook is as close as we're all going to get to reuniting, time, age and distance are the three major reasons and a couple of ex bandmates don't even play music anymore.  Or so it seems.  As long as everyone is alive there's possibilities.   But in an era of the internet and a changing music environment, plus there's hardly any places to play at here in the great wasteland.   And I'm more interested in doing original music anyway.

But who knows.  But I do know one thing for sure.  Next time I return to this forsaken planet, I'm making sure I'm born in a warmer month.  This is the only time I've been early for anything, and I've been paying for it ever since being born in the coldest time of year.

Let's see if we can make it to 54.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.