Sunday 25 May 2014

How I Spend My Saturday Night In Quad Cities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyqUeJgFlPM&feature=youtu.be

Thought I go to Davenport for a Saturday Night game to see the Cedar Rapids Kernels playing the home team the Quad Cities River Bandits.  Pretty good game, CR had 2-1 lead and Matt Christensen robbed a Quad Cities player of a HR.  But another walk and Conrad Gregor came up to bat. 

It's a hour and 20 minute drive to the QC from where I'm at and usually I go to Cedar Rapids to see the Kernels play but the last three games I have been going to Davenport.  They got a nice stadium and for 6 dollars you can watch the game from the center field wall.  Last three times I been out there I have had the damn ball flying toward me be it fair or foul or Home Run.   I couldn't do the river walk, the Mississippi is over its banks and have inundated the trail behind the park with muddy water.

But anyway, the game was somewhat a pitchers duel and kinda boring till the bottom of the sixth and I was out there in in the fence with a couple folk around me.  One of the folk was Conrad's dad Marty who was from Indiana and in town watching his son play.  At that time he didn't hit a home run prior before getting a pitch and hitting it far.

As I saw it in the setting sun, it looked like it was coming towards me.  Since I couldn't catch the fucking thing when I played baseball, I really wanted nothing to do with it but I heard his dad calling for the ball.  I pointed to him and said You catch it, I'm not.  Knowing my luck it probably hit me upside the head or me dropping it.  But Marty made a heck  of a catch and we congratulated each other with handshakes and high fives and chatted a bit before he said he was heading to Burlington to see his son play the next day.  Anyway Cedar Rapids got swept by the River Bandits 5-2 after Tyler White hit another HR after Conrad did his. But Quad Cities got swept by Burlington today whereas the Cedar Rapids Kernels won 6-5 over Beloit.

I hope to return to Davenport a couple more times before the season is over.  In the meantime, here's further proof that I was there.  You can tell who Marty is. (the guy with the ball).  I'm the one in the green jacket.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.