Wednesday 30 April 2014

Thoughts of the Townedger-April

April showers brings may flowers and too much fucking rain.  Once again like last year I had to put a hold on the new album by dealing with another flood in the basement and hoping that we can get the GD motherfucker dried one time before I'm dead and gone.  Getting too old to keep doing this shit year in and year out.  Time to fix the cracks in this leaky assed basement.

A tip of the cap to Diggy Kat for his help on the Soundcloud site.  Of course only me and him have been the regular visitors

It didn't help that I was sick most of the month after my brother got the flu on his 50th birthday.  Think I had the fucking flu in some way all month and now am in the process of using vacation time since my sick time is used up. 

I think Alex at work is really jumping at the chance to get together and do some jamming. If he's real interested of starting a new band, I can probably grab Russ to do bass, provided if I get him off the golf course this summer.

I have been very selected in what I hear for new music.  The new Kaiser Chiefs album is not that great but I do like the new Black Lips, love the Strypes and Len Price 3 new efforts and admire the latest from Leon Russell. In comparing the new Beck Morning Phase to his Sea Change, I like his latest much more.  But then again I find Beck Hansen to be acquired taste at times although I have come to like Mellow Gold more now than 20 years ago.

In going to Davenport I was dismayed at the fact that the place I got my DW's from Griggs Music, didn't have any DW drum sets around.  I had aspirations to trade my set in for a new set but will have to wait.

With Forthcoming Trains, it was a trip to yesterday since I used the Pearl Snare for the first time since 1986 and it sounded excellent on some tracks.  Somehow on the recording the Zildjians used didn't stand out in front like the Paiste set did on 30 and Pawnshops For Olivia.  But I think on the next project the Z's will be the choice once again but on the next set, I'll dig out the ones that I used on The Road Less Traveled and 20. And go with a ride with a more definite ping than the old Sizzle Ride which didn't stand out very well for a ride after all.   Can't figure that one out.  I might unretire the Impulse Ride (used on all of the 90s albums up to Road Less Traveled).

April marked 20 years since I started up a relationship with Clarise (which ended in Valentine's Day 1998) April 12th it was when I ran into her at the old SkyWalk in down town Cedar Rapids.  I could remember that day, however I can't remember her birthday at all.  Her youngest turns 20 in May.  Haven't seen her since picking the car up, (three car payments late and one step ahead of the Repo Man and a bad credit rating) in 99 but I do wish her well.

Let's hope for dry weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.