Sunday 8 January 2017

Popcorn Jam 1/8/17

Lineup:

Tommy Bruner-Lead Guitar and Vocals
Bart Carfizzi-Keyboards and Vocals
James Gritman-Bass
R.Smith-Drums

Terry McDowell: Referee 

Songs:

Two Tickets To Paradise
Beast Of Burden
Vehicle



Playing with sore wrists from overdoing it in Packaging, repetitive work of turning books right side up to auto tab, I was surprised I could keep the beat and do some drum rolls.  A shock was Bart pulling out the Ides Of March song but I managed to find the beat and keep on it.  I would have opted to play Hush instead but Bart saved that at the end when Terry got back up to play. Or even born on the bayou.

Highlights was Lorie Parker and Barb Myers paying a visit, Barb dusting off What's Up (done country style) , Joe Hutchcroft playing and singing Born To Be Wild and of course Trevor coming out to play loud drums on his set, not knowing very well of the Greg Kihn Breakup Song, he played a slow and meandering beat.  Another surprise, Bob Gleason jamming with Terry McDowell, Bart, James and Tommy on Midnight Rambler.  All told, 7 drummers showed up.   I was fine with the three songs I played since I was dealing with carpel tunnel issues.   Mike Lint was absent on this jam session.

I did not do any guitar playing Saturday but managed to plunk on the strings this afternoon.  The intention is to do that Wednesday at Checkers.  Trying to type the blog and keep up with music is taking a toll on my hands and carpel tunnel, I can barely have the patience to type this in the first place.

Despite my issues, I managed to get some folks out on the dance floor and even on the misstep beginning of Vehicle managed to get some nice compliments from the patrons.  Playing Beast Of Burden is one of the easier songs this time out, I didn't have to cymbal accent like I did on Paradise and Vehicle.   Bart was suffering from severe back pain but managed to hold it all together.  Not bad for somebody and Tommy coming back from playing a 20 minute gig and driving 8 hours to Topeka Kansas round trip yesterday.  Don't know how they do it, but it's all for the love of rock and roll.

Or a better paying gig elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.