Monday 27 March 2017

Rumors 3/27/17-All Is Well

Lineup:

Joe Hutchcroft-Lead Vocals
Kevin Simnacher-Guitar
Layne Goldsberry-Bass
Peter Cacioppo-Keyboards
Terry McDowell-Host and Drums  (I Want You To Want Me)
Me-Drums on China Grove, Day Tripper, air drums on I Want You To Want Me

Songs:

China Grove
Day Tripper
i want you to want me




(L to R: Layne Goldsberry, Joe Hutchcroft, Me, Kevin Simnacher) Photo; By Kevin Simnacher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiRfw0nIyOY

Rumors had a large crowd for the Justin Case reunion,  Karl Hudson was still feeling under the weather, but was doing much better today than when he had to cancel the acoustic jam yesterday.  I had doubts of keeping a slower beat on I want you to want me, so I defaulted over to Terry and as usual he did a fine job.  Surprise guests were Jay and Mike Fredericks from the acoustic jams and Belinda and Mark showed up later but didn't play.  Jay and Mike did do about 5 songs with Randy Combs.  I think Logan Arnold really had a manic stage presence, he did bring new meaning to Any Way You Want It and Superstition.

I got there late.  For the first time since 2009, I was showing my best friend Russ on the songs that I figure to play at the next Checkers Acousta Kitties Jam.  For the first time ever I played guitar to Russ playing bass and it was a different feel.   A very unorthodox style of guitar playing, I have never warmed up to playing with other musicians on guitar and still remain guarded of who I play alongside, but in my quest to do acoustic songs I invited him along.  It's nice to have a bass player helping out on Everybody's Talking and If I Were A Carpenter, the latter version, with Russ around it sounded much closer to the Bobby Darin version so I didn't use the guitar lick till the very end.  If Russ decides to hang with me, I'll may just leave it at the end.

The songs I showed him were the ones I have done the most, For What's It Worth, Carpenter, Dead Flowers, we even messed around with Jet Airliner and Rockin Me, chances are they will be  on the B list   And also (to his displeasure)  Cocaine, but again that's not on the playlist unless somebody throws a 20 dollar bill our way.  We did strum along to Come Together and Cuts Like A Knife and threw a couple ideas here and there for further get together's.  Unlike I/O which I left him in charge of songs, I was finally letting him into my world of music and what I played.  I do admit that I have shut him out of The Townedgers projects.  I didn't think he would that interested in the music and songs, now's the time to get him involved into defining the next chapter of my musical adventures.  I rather not call whatever we do The Townedgers, that would be returning more to originals rather than covers and me being totally in charge, but I believe it would a great chance to return under the Paraphernalia banner.  For now, Russ has done a fine job following my guitar riffs to make the songs what they are.  He thinks it's a challenge to figure out how I play guitar, it's not typical and if anything it's like me playing drums; I have no idea where I'm going and it looks like the wheels are ready to fall off but he's managed to stay on board.  For Come Together we can do the song but I rather have somebody else more capable to sing it.  Belinda Christensen James has said she has been singing it recently,  I might tap her to sing the song or Julie Gordon.    But we also working on Werewolves Of London which has practically the same chord pattern as Sweet Home Alabama (to which Kid Rock took noticed and make a hit single called All Summer Long a few years ago).  Another song to polish up to do for a future jam.

So I'm getting lots of ideas and songs during the past three months of guitar playing. Continuing to refine and define and polish up songs and add better ones to replace the so so songs has shaped up to have a nice bunch of songs to do.  So far I have come up with 30 songs of note in the three months of playing and a few more and we can probably book a date or two at some winery or bar.  That will take a while but as long as we have acoustic jams and chances to do four or five should do for now.  And I should consider not to get too critical of myself and the jams and go with it and just have fun.

I think I'll do that.

Comments from Russ

So Rodney Smith showed up to go over some of the songs he does for acoustic jams. Hopefully soon we'll be doing them at the Acoustikitties jams at Checkers. I'd almost forgot how much fun it is to sit down and try to work up songs in an ensemble. I was a little disappointed that my frankenbass still may need some work, atleast I found out before it was the only bass available because I left Number One at home. Number One is as reliable as ever. Rod always surprises me with how eclectic he can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.