Thursday 7 January 2021

Artisan Sanctuary: Behind The Mask

Setlist:


Buckingham-Nicks
Solitary Man
Drawn In The Dark
Knock On Your Door
She Belongs To Me
Not Fade Away/
Logic And Lies
For What Its Worth 
If You See Her
Stepping Razor
The First Cut Is The Deepest
Cinnamon Girl

Jam Band Encore:

Broke Down Engine Blues
I Put A Spell On You
So Sad (the world is in a tangle)

Phil Koening-Lead vocal and guitar
Freddy Jones-Harp
Marijane Euchner-Guitar
R Smith-Guitar




So begins the first outing of 2021. A return to the stage and the return of the Acoustic Adventures.  A small and very supportive folks  (Jeff Brown, Patrick's Girlfriend and Jim Jacobmeyer were the only other folks there).  With Just Phil Bo, Patrick and me sharing songs, I could balloon up the songs and not picking up a guitar for the past couple weeks have really diminished my playing.  Knock On Your Door was played in the wrong capo placing and Not Fade Away really out of order, but it lead into Logic And Lies.   While the gang thought different, Stepping Razor was debuted and Solitary Man was dusted off.  Five songs were off the new Townedgers album. 

Phil Bo took over singing on the encore numbers.  M J and Fab Five Freddy Jones came up to play some guitar and harp, concluding with Canned Heat's So Sad (the world is in a tangle).  An odd choice considering we could have played Let's Work Together, but it's nice to play something different.  I think out of the musicians that I have shared the stage with Phil Bo remains one of the more graceful performers ever.   I hope I have time to go jam with him and record songs for a future project.  That would make my day.

Last time I had supper at Ramsey's nobody was there on a Thursday Night.  They have announced that they are closing January 16, so I thought I better grab one more Taco Salad before the doors close.  Tonight, the place was busy, but at least I found a table.  I will miss that place, a good place to hang and play acoustic music, tho I only graced the stage a couple times. 

When I went home, I was thinking about Tommy Patterson, how he managed to play on stage one final time before passing away.  That would be the way to for me.  Or even better yet pass away on stage, the final bow.   



(pardon the mess, guitar genius at work) 

As I'm approaching sixty, I am beginning to think that I'm slowly coming the end of my musical adventures and probably life itself.   I have become more tired of late, even taking naps two hours after waking up.  My blood pressure has been elevated to the point that I'll never get it back to normal.  I have been dealing with loss of hearing from my left ear and countless tinnitus as well.  The process of aging gets everybody.  Up till I turned 50, I looked younger for my age but as each year passes on, the hair on top of my head gets thinner, the body hair thicker.  Music still makes me feel vital n younger but there are days that I'm really beginning to feel my age.   It's a shame we can't stay young forever.  I wish I had my musical talent 40 years ago.  These acoustic adventures seem to be one last victory lap before it's all gone.

For the past few years, I have laughed at the face of morality, but things are evening out.  The day of reckoning is coming sooner than I think.  The trick is to at least make it to Sixty, and then after that, we'll take things one day at a time.  I try not to talk about death in front of Julie, she's seen enough of that from her life.  Death has spared me for another year, but I have a suspicion that it might be different this time.  

Carma Lou Beck, was the owner of Carma Lou's House Of Music back in the 70s and 80s.  If I needed some drum sticks or replacing drumheads, that was the place to be (as well as West Music, Hiltbrunners and Music Loft).  She was a true professional, tho I did have a run in with one of her smart assed help, (somebody accused me and Russ of stealing things, which I replied you gotta have something to steal first Dipshit).  That's where I got the replacement Pearl Snare for the old Zickos set (to which I still play that Snare on the new Townedgers album) and a 18 inch Zildjian Medium Thin Crash which might have been the best cymbal I ever had prior to the K Session Crash).   She passed away on Monday (1/4).  Before Guitar Center came and killed the music stores, Carma Lou's was probably the best place to get music instruments.  I might have bought a couple of the Ludwig Hercules cymbal stands that I still use too, but they need to be retired.  Thank you for the memories Carma Lou.   We will miss you.  

Also, Billy Bourbon's wife  Shelley passed from cancer on Jan 6.   Billy never mentioned her at all, and I never asked.  But he's in my thoughts as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.