Sunday 9 May 2021

Rumors-Mother's Day Jam

Songs

Margaretville (pfft)
Brown Eye Girl
Feel Like Making Love
Mustang Sally
Knockin On Heaven's Door
Before You Accuse Me
Me n Julio Down By The Schoolyard
The Old Man Down the Road

Russ Glacklin sang on the first four numbers (of course)
Billy Bourbon-sand on the last four numbers and played guitar
Tommy Bruner-Guitar and vocals
Jeff Taylor-Keyboards 
Morris-Guitar
Tom Berdo-Harmonica on the last four numbers
I played Drums
Terry McDowell Hosted.

In order to have fun, we have to spice up the songs that we have done time and time again.  I know what songs Russ is going to sing, the object is to stomach it through.

We are going to play you Jimmy Buffet (GAG)
I'm sure you heard this one before (making choking gestures)
Sing along if you know the words (GAAAAAAB)

Okay, it was a bit over the top as I motioned the drum stick into my throat but people got a kick out of it. Actually I did managed to throw a decent beat to the overplayed Feel Like Making Love and cha cha beat to Mustang Sally, but I was following  Jeff Taylor's keyboard work to the latter song.  He had a nice keyboard riff so to speak.  Jeff Taylor is hosting the Checker's jam on this Thursday.  Like the previous four, I have to take a rain check while babysitting temps at work.

Due to the 10 hour workdays, I have put the acoustic adventures on hold till I can back into playing guitar with confidence.  The rust has corrosive itself big time and I don't feel I can put on a decent performance.  However playing drums is different; I don't need to   

Quite a big crowd at Rumors and DJ Hovenstot replaced me after my award winning act.  Kat Blue came up to play soon afterward, but no Tim Kaufman sighting.  Third week in a row he has not jammed.    Billy dusted off Me And Julio and it's more percussion than actual drums, Old Man Down The Road I don't think I played since the old Stone Garden Band of 1985.  

I did stayed long enough for Kat Blue to run through Gold Dust Woman with DJ on drums.  Tom Berdo from Notes From The Underground joined me on the second batch of songs after Russ did his usual favorites.  Most of the Rumors gang were there as well.  I think Dave Bonham went to the Stone City open mic.  Steve Black Wolf was at Rumors but didn't play.  Julie was hard at work putting more flowers in her yard.  The hardest working gardener in town.  

Doug Ducey is moving to the Quad Cities.  One less legend to jam with, but perhaps I'll look him up in the next time I take the guitar to the QC on a acoustic jam in the future.  I will miss him. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.