Sunday 28 April 2013

End Of Month Thoughts From The Townedger

Sad to say that George Jones left us Friday, he lived 81 years and half of that on borrowed time.  To me he was one of the best vocalists of all time as I grew up on  a steady diet of Jones and his music from my folks record collection and myself.  He may not been a rock and roller but he could have fit in there quite well with his early stuff.  I'm not a big fan of He Stopped Loving Her Today, it's too sad for me to give it steady listens but his later day songs were just as good if not better.  I tend to agree that Melba Montgomery was his best singing partner, Tammy Wynette was great too but there was electricity when George and Melba sang together.

I think Choices was a better autobiographic song of George Jones myself but I would also put It Don't Get No Better Than This right up there too.

Still in shock of Diggy playing the whole No Exit album to the radio buzz'd audience.  Don't expect that to happen anywhere else.  Most of the reviews that I have read were 3 star at best, read one that said I tended to repeat myself from other albums as well.

The problem of getting older is that I don't spend a lot of time songwriting like I used to say about 20 30 years ago.  I'm trying to do my best making a living on something that pays and really don't observe and write them down like I used to.  With No Exit, I wrote whatever came to mind and put it into use.  The End was done spur of the moment.  I'm sure it turned off a lot of listeners on Radio Buzz'd but I found it to be just as menacing and hypnotic at the same time.

There's always thoughts of telling people that The Townedgers have ran their course and it's time to disband but I've been saying that for, um 20 years at least.  We always seem to come back to do another new effort. No Exit was done for ourselves and the fans. Of course that hasn't translated into sales. I'd go bother BoB Lefsetz and flood his inbox to hear it, but he'd only block me and write a blog about what kind of fucked up world do I get people to flood my inbox with music when I don't give a fuck?!

Bob Dorr?  Great showman, knows his music and is a great DJ.  The Blue Band is better seen live, their cds tend to be a bit goof offish.

Paraphernalia reunion?  Don't foresee that happening.  Would have loved to jammed with Mike one more time but missed out on that.  Outside of Russ playing bass from time to time, I don't think anybody else plays guitar anymore.  Think they all retired and enjoy being grandparents more.  Even Randy, our soundboard guy is a grandpa now.

The TE classic period was 1990 to 1996.  Got a second wind on There's Nothing Left and Road Less Traveled.  And Pawnshops For Olivia.   Town's Edge Rock was the start of something good and then it took three years to follow it proper.

Living In The Twilight Zone hasn't aged very well, nor the 1989 albums, the latter due to not working the 4 track very well, I still can't get a decent mix from Moonlight Chronicles and Floodlands. the 1985 albums were either too rushed or too labored.  Had we had a decent four track back then Wapsi Dreaming, Tales Of The Red Caboose and Postcards From The Edge would be held in high regard as well.  But they are the best ones in the Low Fi years.

Weather On The Nines?  Some good songs on it, some not so good, that space mix that Hugh McConnell did hasn't aged very well either.  What to do what to do.

Still haven't found the tapes for 20.  Only thing left is the master which was put together quickly.  I know we should have done something more than just half remakes and half new stuff, I disowned it for a while but a later listen proved that it wasn't all that bad.

Songs I love hearing on the radio?  Dear Lisa, Bring It To Light, Teri come to mind.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.