Wednesday 3 April 2013

The Mike Swearingen Benefit

In my years of playing in bands, I have two constant players in outside projects.  My best friend Russ was part of Paraphernalia/Tyrus years and IO and his cousin Mike Swearingen to which he was part of F.O.A.D (with Dave Kelsey of Mox Nix fame), Open Highway and Tyrus as well.  Mike and I also was part of the Stone Garden reunion with Virgin Hanson and the other guy Rick (can't remember his last name but we did that in 1985) and Mike was part of the Routers band of 1992 (featuring Greg Nutter).  Mike basically has retired from playing live music but he is part of Crown Karaoke which he would be at every Saturday Night at the Sip N Stir in Cedar Rapids before health issues have caused him to suspend that.

On April 14, there will be a benefit for Mike at the Eagle's Club in Cedar Rapids to which the fun begins at 10 AM and lasts till 6.  There's hope that many of Cedar Rapids finest will be there to talk about the good times and doing a jam and Karaoke session that afternoon.  I will be there sometime Sunday (don't know when) and perhaps there will might be a chance for me and Mike to do a couple songs together.  If Russ decides to sign off and show up as well maybe all three of us will be together one last time to do some of our better known classic rock stuff.

In my estimation Mike was the perfect vocalist in the bands I was in and I have to credit and thank him for considering me to be the drummer of choice when his bands needed one or simply go up the country bar and do a couple jam songs on Sundays.  It was his style that dictated the way that I played drums and sad to say I almost made him deaf in the process.  We remain music brothers throughout the course of my time being a part of the CR music scene although I was more interested in doing The Townedgers/Route 66 band than being a classic rock cover band.

Hopefully we'll have pictures to show for when that day arrives.  Here's Mike with the Full Circle Band ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.