Sunday 17 May 2015

A Band Reunion Of Sorts

I haven't posted much in here.  With The Townedgers on hiatus and nothing new to report, I've been busy working overtime to save up on a vacation to who knows where.  Last year we had a reunion of the original Open Highway/Tyrus Paraphernalia on Facebook.  Pictures were posted and then disappeared and basically I was too lazy to repost the pictures, figured they'd disappear once again from sight.



Since the 1984 OK Lounge show which turned out to be our farewell sad to say, most of us have kept in touch over the years.  Good friends will do that.  Throughout the years the guys found day jobs, got married, got divorced got married again and have kids of their own and some are now grandparents.  Back in the day I gave up my day job to play in a band, make practices and stayed at my folks home way too long but they believed I could make a decent living playing bar band music and not have to work which turned out to be a big mistake.  Nevertheless the band was called Paraphernalia in my book although we played as Open Highway Band and later the name Tyrus which somehow translated into Big Wind to which we looked at our lead singer and agreed with the name.  For the most part the core band remained my best friends in Russ Swearingen on bass, Dennis Lancaster on harmonica and guitar and Mike Swearingen lead singer and DeWayne Schminkey was a honorary member back to the days of the 1982 jam session and Open Highway.  Guest stars were Shawn Ster and Doug Bonesteel but the core of Me, Dennis and Russ were the bloodline of the band.  Looking at this picture it looks like Shawn would rather be someplace else.  But then again we basically borrowed him from another band to free up Mike's voice on a couple songs.

It's been 30 plus years after the Dec 7th show and there were feeble attempts to get the band going again, mostly from Russ and Me and sometimes Mike partake in the festivities, but outside of a month long project in 2008 the drums and guitars begin to get covered in cobwebs.   When I was in Arizona a few years ago I hooked up with Dennis for a night on the town and getting a good buzz from a couple of beers and checking out the Hooters girls.  We have always kept in touch via the usual social media outlets   But when Dennis said he was coming through town on taking the long way home and seeing the sights we had to get together Saturday Night at Louis' Scoreboard.   Even after four hours of mowing the jungle of the acreage that I live on, and very sore and tired I had to show up.



It was a big surprise for not only this was us getting back together again but it also was were the reception of my high school sweetheart Penny and Karl who gotten married that day. I originally had plans to go see the hometown Cedar Rapids Kernels play but the lateness of mowing the yard made me miss it, and I decided to rest up and grab a burrito and head to the Scoreboard at around 7 30.



From there till around midnight everybody told stories, had a few jokes to say.  Like the old days the most reliable of band members were there, plus our sound guy Randy Hartwig, which his wife shot a few pictures of us all.  We all looked a lot older than the days of 1984, the receding hairline, gray hair or being bald.  But the best of friends were there for that one special night of getting together. I'm sure Mike would have been there but in spirit he was, especially the bad jokes that we remembered him telling.



Even though our band never hit the big time, what is more important was we had a strong friendship that remains to this very day.  And I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world.  Yes, we're older and the tea I drink is more decaf than 32 oz Long Island stuff I drank years ago.  




For 54 years I think I lived a pretty good life as a record collector, leader of the band and playing drums in  a bar band.  These reunions are special to me. And I always look forward to getting together to relive the good old days.  We're old but we're still alive.  And I love these guys.  They are my best friends to the end.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.