Sunday 12 June 2016

Popcorn Jam 6-12-16 Beatlemania

Lineup
 

Mike Lint-Vocal (Ain't No Sunshine)
John Stephaniek-Bass (Ain't No Sunshine)
Steve Bray-Vocal (Ticket To Ride)
Dan Johnson Vocal and Bass (Ticket To Ride, Baby You're A Rich Man, Money)
Tommy Bruner-Guitar and Lead vocal on Baby You're A Rich Man)
Bob Gleason-Harmonica on Ain't No Sunshine
Ringo Smith-Drums

Songlist:

Ain't No Sunshine
Ticket To Ride
Baby You're A Rich Man
Money (That's what I want)

If anything, Dan Johnson and Tommy Bruner are the iron men of jammers; Dan playing 9 venues, Tommy 7 including the weekend with Past Masters in Riverside.  Brook Hoover also played 8 dates, including a couple up in Fort Dodge, but it was enough for him to take the day off and not make it.

I chatted with Kenny Webb, who is hosting the jam two weeks from today and he had steak in the crock pot ready to go and didn't make the stage.  I've been meaning to catch Ken and his offshoot band Two Buck Chuck sometime this summer.

Another light turnout, sometimes I wonder if the Cooters Jam is cutting into the participants, that one is more acoustic driven, as well as the Stone City General Jam, which is more closer to home but again, very acoustic.  John Stephaniek, helped spelled Dan Johnson, after all D.J was busy playing around the town the past couple days, John is in the Twist And Shout band, mostly oldies and classic rock.  Herm Sarduy from Kick It also played drums, he's a bit more into playing into record and I don't think he cared much for Kevin Faulkner's playing on Hey Bartender, a song that Herm can play in his sleep on drums but Kevin was not familiar with Herm's version.  I'm sure if Herm knew that if we were about to play the Beatles medley that Tommy and Dan knew, he would have stayed on the drums.

I've done Ticket To Ride in other bands (Open Highway, The Routers) so I could have done Ringo's tom tom beat.  Ringo Starr gets raked over the coals, but he is a very solid and influential drummer, his radical high hat tom rolls on Come Together is a bitch to play even on good days, but while Herm is more locked into play the tom pounds on Ticket To Ride, I more or less play with 4/4 beat on the chorus.  The Beatles made great music but not to point of being sacred not to do 'em.  Steve Bray, my good friend from Record Realm came up to sing lead vocals, the first time I ever shared the stage with him.  For Baby You're A Rich Man, that was my first time ever playing it. 

Herm bought his snare drum up and he always has a nice set and drum heads to make it sound good.  The dude has at least 7 or 8 drum sets stored away at home or someplace.  I barely have room for one. 

At the end, Mike was trying to bum a ride home from me with his friend but I think they ended up going with Herm.  The way it goes I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.