Sunday 26 June 2016

Popcorn Jam-6/26/16 Women Have The Power

Lineup:

Kevin Simnacher-Guitar
Nikki Davidson-Lead Vocal (Can't Get Enough, All I Want To Do)
Cecie Stark-Lead Vocal (China Grove)
Kenneth John Webb-Bass
R.Smith-Drums

Music Director: Terry McDowell 


(L to R: Kevin Simnacher, R.Smith, Cecie Stark, Kenneth John Webb, Nikki Davidson)

A big turnout today (Seth Williams and Pat Geasland were there but didn't play drums), and for the most part this was Jim Reisner's chance to show off his new band Flawed Logic.  This band featured a female drummer, her name is Haley Ryan and this woman is great.  She really tackled Radar Love on just like the record it seems.  Got to chat with Seth the bass player in the bathroom, we exchanged pleasantries, told him and Jim they got a real rocking band.  Of course Herman was trying to give Haley some drum suggestions about listening to more John Bonham, I don't think she needs any of that, I'd told her to be herself and creative her own sound.  Since Tiffany is now up in LaCrosse, I think the best woman drummer has to be Haley Ryan. I have to check them out whenever they're in the neighborhood. https://www.facebook.com/flawdlogicband/?pnref=story

Plenty of drummers in tow, so my song list was short and to the point. Any hope of not playing Bad Company two weeks in a row came to an end as we started up Can't Get Enough and then off to do China Grove.  Nikki D, became the de facto lead singer after Tim Duffy left The Saloonatics and she could belt them out too.  Of course they had to do What's Up, the only 4 Non Blondes song that everybody plays live around here.  I don't get it, but people seem to like that song, and I think Terry McDowell may have played that today.



This was the first time I ever attempted to do All I Want To Do, the Sheryl Crow number and that was Ken's idea.   Ken plays in Two Buck Chuck and Hostage but I always welcome the chance to jam with him.  He gets into the music, and really there's nobody quite like him.  He brings a special element into the music. As I fumbled around the Sheryl Crow number he kept a solid beat so I wasn't too off.  I never played it live and added different elements of beat to that song, a disco beat, a James Brown shuffle beat.  China Grove I haven't done since the Open Highway years, but Kevin and Ken were professional enough to know where the opening breaks were at the beginning of the song. I know they played this song many many times before.  Usually for me, I'm more into the original songs.  I've managed to share the stage with great bass players from Dan Johnson to Jess Toomsen to all purpose Tim Duffy and my Paraphernalia sidekick Russ Swearingen but Kenneth Webb remains one of the more fun guys in popcorn jams.  I hope we can jam on future popcorn jams.  He rocks!



The amazing Kevin S. continues to propagate his photography wizardry skills.  Case in point, who farted?



Of course we wear our sunglasses at night...sometimes inside too.  Even Terry McDowell got into the act.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ws-nLMyT-c&feature=share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.