Monday 6 June 2016

Popcorn Jam 6-5-16 Dirty Work

Lineup:

Tom Miller (from Past Masters)-Lead vocals on Hound Dog and Blue Suede Shoes
Mike Lint-Lead vocals on Ain't No Sunshine
Tommy Bruner (also from Past Masters)-Guitar
John Stepaniak-Bass
Ted Reilly-Bass on Born To Be Wild
Terry McDowell-Drums on Born To Be Wild
Old Silver Throat Crabby-Drums, except Lead Vocals on Born To Be Wild 

Another sparse  turnout today, the guys from In The Attic came up to do a half hour set but the volume gestapo folks were out and about, the lead guitar player got yelled at for being too loud. 

This is kind of a bittersweet jam.  It was fun to play drums on the more quieter numbers and I got to be the drummer behind Tom Miller who plays drums for The Past Masters, but he does a segment of a couple of Elvis tunes with Bart Carfizzi behind the drumset.  I don't think Terry wanted to do them, so he asked me and I accepted the job.  Nothing flashy but keeping a standard beat.  Later Terry wanted to jam with Ted on a couple rock and roll numbers and everybody seemed to shy away from the old Steppenwolf rock classic, so I took the lead vocals and got to share the stage with Terry McDowell as well.   Very awkward at first but I did okay considering that I remembered about 98 percent of the word and sang it for the first time live. 

Why this was bittersweet was Ernest the Soul Man popping up very late in the jam while I was singing away at Born To Be Wild, but he just distanced himself from me and didn't say hi. Was he mad at me for not joining up his band a couple weeks ago?  I hope not.  I love the guy and the songs that we did at the jam but I really don't have the  time to really get into another band since I work nights and have to keep up on other things, blogging about records and collecting and pay bills and mow the yard and compiling Townedger Radio.  In the back of my mind, I'm thinking of songs that might work for Ernest in the future of popcorn jams.  All I ever wanted to do was jam with folks and have fun, not have them getting mad at me for not starting a new band.  Why make a big deal about something about nothing.   Let's have fun and not worry about making big bucks playing the local dive for tips and a free sandwich with only a few folks showing up and going home after the first set.  Ernest talked to Tommy for a bit and then walked on out. 

I know it shouldn't but it does bother me.  I talked to Martin Daniels afterwards about it, and he said you cannot change how people think of you, most of them wouldn't give two shits anyway.  When you think you have a special bond with an Ernest the Soul Man, you wouldn't think it would mattered, just wait till the next jam and do what you like to do.   It's just my way of looking at things.

Still working on pre production of the next Townedgers album.  I have a couple title suggestions, I Was Young Once or Love's Guessing Game, I'm thinking Richard Dennanbaugh will be behind the control board. I was bouncing a few ideas off Martin and Mark Glarington but nothing is set in stone yet.   I spent Saturday Night at Cedar River Landing with Julie And The Mad Dogs and sat in on Mike Serbousek's number of J.B.Goode.   Lorie Parker, Julie's band mate from Acousta Kitties was the special guest.   The Mad Dogs have two more gigs coming up, one in Anamosa on the 25th and their farewell show on July 8th at Rumors.  I plan to attend both shows.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.