Sunday 9 October 2016

Popcorn Jam 10-9-16 No Grunge Intended

Lineup:
Ben Orone-Guitar
Steve Black Wolf-Bass
Ole Crabby-Drums

Songs:
Improvisation In A
Spoonful
Cissy Strut

Dude extraordinaire: Terry McDowell

Terry's band FLEX hosted the jam since nobody was interested in hosting a jam and Tommy Bruner and Dan Johnson had other commitments.  FLEX is very heavy on the hard metal numbers from the likes of Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Temple Of The Dog, even Creed.  Ian Jacoby is very good at doing vocals for those song, he almost busted a vein hitting the higher notes to Hey Man Nice Shot.

It was a very small crowd, only three other drummers showed up, Pat Geasland, the original FLEX drummer came on board to play a few songs, Mike Lint showed up later to do Gasoline by some grunge band (3 Doors Down).  Since I wasn't very interested in doing Alice In Chains etc etc, I basically wanted to sit this one out but Terry did pair me up with Ben Orone, who I have played alongside in previous times, usually Hendrix, but he wasn't much into jamming so we did a couple instrumentals such as the Meters' Cissy Strut.  I have practiced that song from time to time at home but it was the first time I done it on stage.   Spoonful was another extended jam, I have done that song with The Townedgers from time to time. This time out, I've been playing with a little less intensity of the summer months and when I overplayed Kim Bean's set during the early spring.  It's best just to leave the drum skills and styles to Terry and Patrick and keep the beat the best way possible. It was fun being Keith Moon Junior but I rather much get back to a more less intense style although I'm sure Geoff or Martin or even Russ would say "I'll see it when I believe it". 

The rival jam down the road Cooters had the more laid back or country classic rockers hanging out over there, The AcoustaKitties were hosting that affair and as I drove past that place it was fairly busy.  Two weeks after the flood came through, there's plenty of sandbags, Hesco barriers and earthen dams all around Cedar Rapids,  Rumors was no exception.  There was a Led Zeppelin tribute band playing at the Paramount that might have gotten a couple more jammers, or people are staying home till the sandbags and flood protection things are put back into place.  The bike trail was sealed off by Hesco barriers, and the Cedar River dropped about two feet of sand underneath the 3rd Avenue Bridge.  The guess is that it might be a while before the trails get opened up again.

Overall, I was kinda bored by the grunge and hard rock numbers but that's what FLEX plays, but Terry did managed to find a couple of jammers to do the older blues rock numbers that I'm so good at playing of.  But it was fun to jam to Cissy Strut.  Zigaboo, I salute you.
http://www.zigaboo.com/

Plenty of pictures were taken, but none of  me were in them.  This is Terry McDowell, Ian Jacoby and Jim Reisner rocking out to Torn by Creed.  Karie Skogman photo credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.