Saturday 29 October 2016

Thoughts From The Townedger October Edition

I spend way too much time on the social media circuit and never get nothing done in real life.


I've been dealing with the usual falltime allergy crap, scratchy throat, plugged up nose and it does play havoc with music.  I been getting back to guitar and trying to learn the basics and what better guy to take lessons than from Brook Hoover.  I threw a 20 in his direction and he showed me how he plays guitar, which is far different than me.  I can't seem to untie my ring and pinky when it comes to trying to stretch on the fret board but I did stumbled upon the basic chords of Cinnamon Girl.  I hope to somehow play this on stage myself rather than Geoff Redding or Rod Albaugh.  I could never touch Brook or Rod on their guitar playing, I can only improve on the songs that do come out for later albums, or in front of people.

It was a year ago last Sunday that Kyle Oyloe departed from this world and although I had better jams, the overall vibe was fairly positive, with Kyle's mom and family coming down.  15 months into the local scene, I'm beginning to find my place in the music world of CR and what the future holds for me I don't know.  Our job situation is more brighter, which means playing for bar gigs are not going to happen anytime soon and the only available time would be acoustic jams or Popcorn Jams. Last Sunday's jam was a big deal enough for me to get time off from work but hanging around just to do two songs was a disappointment.  But in the end, it's their call, be it Terry who had planned for me to do at least one more later in the jam or Julie wanting Mike to get back up on stage; he remains The Mad Dogs drummer and had to watch the first hour of Terry jamming with the songs that Mike has done time and time again.   And Mike did make a statement by playing some spirited drumwork on Fairies Wear Boots and managed to nail that opening to We're An American Band.  In reality I'd rather much back Mike up on Johnny B Goode (which we thought would happened but didn't), then to overdrum on Rocky Mountain Way.  Still people thought it went pretty good and it's nice getting compliments, even if it wasn't one of my better efforts.  Still I waited around for that final song which never came, once Trevor came up on stage and jammed with the new guy Ron La Fleur that was all she wrote.    And perhaps I stayed too long, especially hearing Buddy complaining about helping his son moving things back to Anamosa.

I think when you don't play in a working environment, you tend to be looked at as an outsider.  Terry can work and play in three other bands, Dan Johnson and Tommy Bruner stay regularly busy, as well as Brook or Jon Wilson and all do managed to host a jam session or two.   In my efforts to maybe host a jam session I ended up buying a pickup four piece drumset for further inclusion but since buying that set, it's only drawn cobwebs.  Questions still remain.  Is there's any hope for putting a new band together with some of the elite musicians in town?  Is it feasible to give The Wiley Kats another shot?   Or revamp Open Highway or Paraphernalia Tyrus with my best friend and Dewayne in tact?  Or hold down a barstool waiting to do three songs at a popcorn jam?

I don't think I ever played the rock and roll game quite right even during the Tyrus tenure.  I wanted to do originals and obscure songs right off the bat and basically had the right set of guys at that time. But it's hard to think you're making any effort dusting off something nobody plays but even while pulling off a rocking bunch of Montrose tunes, nobody's dancing but fart away on Free Bird and Maragaritaville and people dance to it.  And I think that was one reason why I walked away from it all three decades ago.   Playing Welcome To The Jungle or Crazy Train or Garth Brooks Friends In Low Places is just like working at a thankless job, only my thankless job pays the bills better.

Or maybe I was blowing hot air when I suggested if the Mad Dogs wanted to continue I would be happy to play drums for them, if Mike couldn't do it.  Once Mike said he wanted to continue The Mad Dogs and his other band, that was it. I love Mike Serbousek like a brother. If he needs me, I got his back.  Same with Julie.

But as for myself, I tend to renew going to jams by a week by week basis. I've been disappointed before, but I also had some memorable jams as well.  And been able to document the good and the bad as well.  Next jam will have Tommy Bruner and Dan Johnson, two of best musicians that I feel the most comfortable with and I'm committed to the next jam.   Somewhere down the line, Tim Duffy might be back to hang out too.  I do miss Tim Duffy a lot.  Terry McDowell has done a very good job continuing the popcorn jam, with Tim Duffy, he managed to bring a more diverse and eclectic lineup from time to time, (Jon Wilson, Brook Hoover have been missing from the Sunday jams).  I'll do my best to promote whatever Terry has for Sunday Jams, on the other side I need to revisit my own band, my own roots, and my own way to play music and that would be more acoustic jams with me playing guitar and getting better at it.   I enjoy hearing compliments on how I play drums, but the ultimate goal is to get kudos about playing acoustic guitar on my own compositions.


But I know that I have been a fragile sort of dude, the difficulties of stage fright and self doubt continue to plague me and the past couple jams it's gotten to the point that I'm not sure if I want to continue to popcorn jams fighting myself and the insecurities that took me out of playing live for a few years.  Perhaps it's time to walk away from it all once again and just continue as The Townedger and thinking up new music on my own.  Even in my most downward state, I can put on Pawnshops For Olivia or Diamonds In The Skies and the songs remind me that I'm a very good songwriter and drummer.  I shouldn't have to punish myself for forgoing hair metal overplayed stuff just to play originals and garage rock classics nobody else plays.   In the meantime I still do.

Fellow musician Jim Reisner has come up with his own application on chords and playing the guitar. Anything helps. http://jimsplayground.azurewebsites.net/Home

Falling in love with somebody new will never happen.  I know by now that I have blown chances of finding anybody that can put up with me longer than 2 hours.  Nicole did the best she could and I still love her the same way that when we first met and she did give me 11 months of her life to be with me too.  Does it bother me when she talks about a new guy in her life and makes me happy?  Not really, I always hope for the best for her, even if she's very active on the dating scene.  I do miss the fun that we did have, in those special times in St Louis.  But I do wish her well on this stage we call life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.