Sunday 13 November 2016

Bruce Stanley Popcorn Jam 11/13/16-Great Drummers Think Alike



Lineup:

With Four Day Creep

Amanda Britcher-vocals
Rick Clay-Guitar
John Baughman-Bass
Troy Mitchell-Drums
R.Smith-The other drummer


In charge: Terry McDowell


Steve Lawrence-playing guitar and vocals on All Right Now and Bonecrusher

Songs:

All Right Now
Bonecrusher

For a sendoff to Bruce it was kinda of a disappointing small crowd but they're mostly into the hard rock and roll.  For the most part the Four Day Creep gang kept things going.  Not a lot of other jammers, I think Mike Lint was the other drummer besides myself to take part in the fun.  Terry jamming along with them during the first hour.

Troy Mitchell is one of the best if not the best drummer in town, he can play Bonham better than myself and a great guy.  He was friends with Bruce for many years.  I had to laugh when Troy said he was following me on Bonecrusher a song from a band called Soul Hat that I wasn't familiar with.  I basically stayed on a regular beat and not the over the top version.  In fact I only knew that Hostage played it last week at Rumors and even then I didn't quite grasp of the offbeats this song was like.  

This was the second time I ever shared the stage with another drummer and it was a honor to have Troy play alongside me.  The guy can nailed the drum rolls on All Right Now too. I think I'm beginning to show my age that my wrist couldn't respond to the cascade rolls on the beginning of the lead guitar part.  Unlike the over the top version I did for The Routers in 1991, I was content to stay within the beats of the song and not over do it.

Although I only did two songs, the total time up on stage was about 10 minutes long.  It was nice to see Tim Hotz, my good friend from days of hanging at the record store come up and say hi.  He might a bit off the wall but Tim is one of my closest friends.  He did mention that he'll swing by Bruce's house on the way home.  I should have asked Tim where Bruce's place was at.  I don't think I've ever been there.  In fact I know I haven't.

Mike Lint did pay me a nice compliment by mentioning that I was one of the best drummers out there when Brook was asking people who their fave drummers were. In fact I was mentioned a couple more times.  It's a good feeling when people put you in the elite company of great drummers in town.  I gave Mike a nice hug over that.  Thanks mate!  You're pretty damn good yourself.


(Photo: Frank Smith  Toxic Blonde with Dawn Sedelcek and Terry Mac on drums)

Terry McDowell says:   You totally deserve to be mentioned on this list, too! Since we've gotten to know each other through the Sunday jams, I've noticed and appreciate your knack for playing what a song needs. I really dig that you realize the importance of dynamics when playing the drums. There's a time and place for it of course, but playing drums really hard is almost always unnecessary. I've seen you play with intensity without overshadowing everyone else - and that requires real talent!




Thanks Big Mac for those kind words.

I tend to think in my later years that I am more at home keeping it straight and to the point, if I overdo things it's because I'm in the moment,  that all goes back to the first time we recorded Rocky Mountain Way in 1982 and I was trying to hang on to my job as drummer for Paraphernalia.   Over course of time, my style of playing basically was decided on that over the top which you can hear on the Paraphernalia recordings and The Townedgers.   But as I get older I realize that I'm more suited to the basic styles of Al Jackson Jr and how he kept things tight more than Keith Moon bashing every cymbal and drum within arm reach.   Doing the jams the past 15 months has enabled me to actually play better drums, especially on Fitting Finales and interacting with other musicians is a plus too.  I don't expect to really change my style, I play by feeling rather than straight by record.  I must be doing something right when I mentioned to be one of the best drummers in town.  It may not look like it but I'm always taking notes when my fellow drummers take the stage.   Not bad for being one of the older rockers in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.