Sunday 6 November 2016

Popcorn Jam 11/6/16

Lineup:

Joe Hutchcroft-Vocals on Simple Man and Sister Golden Hair
Steve Black Wolf- Vocals on Tuesday's Gone
Karl Hudson-Acoustic guitar and backing vocals
Ryan Rolling-Electric guitar
Layne Goldsberry-Bass
Me, I'm just tagging along on drums

Terry McDowell holding it all together

Taking time off from The Townedgers putting the new album together, I didn't think I was going to do this jam.  I ended up getting major back spams from mowing the yard yesterday and barely could sit in my seat for Hostage playing that night.  And with Daylight Savings Time ending, the day ends quite fast, losing that hour of daylight.  But it's still 60 degrees when the sun was out.

While a good crowd was there a host of jammers left to go do the acoustic jam at Cooters and didn't bother waiting their turn.  Dakota and Joe LaFluer were one of them, Tim Wiley wore out his welcome and Jim and John weren't interested.  Joe  played drums on a couple of songs before taking the lead vocalist spot for Simple Man and Sister Golden Hair and I took the stage.  First time I had shared the stage with Layne Goldsberry of the Past Masters and he did a fine job of keeping me focused on the beat and not play too fast.  Not that I really wanted to, I was still having back issues and having a pinched nerve in my shoulder blade as well.  It's amazing how Joe looked a lot like Joe Maddon of the Cubs winning the world series fame.  Was nice jamming with him, he also does duty in The Shadow with Tommy Bruner and Bart Carfizzi.

Tim Wiley was up there and he was supporting Steve Black Wolf on a couple numbers but Terry didn't give him much in terms of songs.  I'm sure he wanted to do a couple of songs with me but that didn't happen.  Usually once he's done he packs up and leaves, he's done that many times including the Wiley Kats but it doesn't bother me all that much.  Abigail, the 12 year old came back to do a few songs but I didn't play drums on Bobby McGee.  But Tim will always be Tim and hooking his stuff up before a gig doesn't go over very well, especially on the host of the jams.  I don't hate Tim, never had, but sometimes I do question his decisions.  Who knows what the future holds but the door is always open to jam with him at Popcorn or Blues Jams.

I thought my segment went well, nothing outstanding but just having fun.  Afterwards I chatted with Ernest the soul man before some blonde took his attention away and then with Terry and The Starks and wished Cecie more happy birthday greetings.  Peter is a lucky guy.  They did a couple duets with Terry playing drums later in the jam. It may have been a first but Cecie that's happened once before.  He has this Aw shucks voice for Stop Draggin My Heart Around and it's kinda sweet.  Before things ended with Comfortably Numb and everybody going off in different directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.