Sunday 20 November 2016

Popcorn Jam 11/20/16 Remembering Olivia

Still you'll always be in my heart
For the love that we share, shall never part
And maybe some day, when it's all said and done
We'll be together, beyond the sun.


(Photo: New Year's Day 2000)

17 years ago, I was spending time with Olivia up in the chilly winds and rains of Portland, taking on a dinner cruise on the big river and watching the sights of downtown Portland.  I think those times that we spent together were the best time of my life, a great ending to 1999 and hoping of things to come.   But like everything that has happened in this life, it simply wasn't meant to be.

She wasn't made for the cold harsh winters of the Great Midwest and when she did come out here, she ended up getting a walking phenomena that would last a good three months up to our last time together.   It's been so long ago I'm beginning to forget most of it outside of old pictures that confirmed us being together, and occasional reminders: printed emails and letters hidden in a box in the storage room.  And memories.

Around that time, my best friend was dating a woman from New York and things were not exactly going well for them.  However, me and Olivia did our best to convince Deb that my best friend was a nice guy and worthy of settling down with.  We talked about ways of keeping their fire alive for one another in my last trip to Portland in March, knowing that we were about to take different paths from one another.  In April of 2000, in St Louis, Russ realized that Deb was the best woman for him. As for me and Olivia, she remained in the Northwest.  On Valentines' Day 2001 Russ and Deb got married.  Eventually, Olivia would remarry too.  I continued on the road less traveled.  A few years later, both of us would chat off and on, which she managed to tap my inner thoughts that would become the album Pawnshops For Olivia, perhaps the most bittersweet album The Townedgers ever made, to which a followup album would take five years to be made.  Looking back on those times we brought in 2000, it was the best time in my life.   I still miss her.


Popcorn Jam 11/20/16

Tim Wiley-Guitar, vocals
Tommy Bruner-Guitar
Dan Johnson-Bass Guitar
Bob Gleason-Harmonica
I played drums

Songs:
Little Wing
Red House Blues
Crossroads

I always said that I was open to jam with Tim Wiley if and when that time came to be and it did Sunday.  I think it went well, though Little Wing and Redhouse Blues were very short versions. We concluded things with Crossroads, and Tim played a very fast riff and we all followed suit.  Dan Johnson held things together quite well.  Benton wasn't around so it wasn't a full fledged Wiley Kats reunion.  Once things were done Tim packed up and raced on down to Cooters to finish up the acoustic jam.  Some things never change but I did acknowledged and shake Tim's hand for doing a good job.

Next week the return of Tim Duffy for a one off reunion. We'll see how that one goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.