Tuesday 25 April 2017

Learning To Love Again

We never know what's going to happen in this life.  We move from place to place, drive on many roads and people come and go.  Kinda like that playing in bands.  The situation is always the same, we come into this planet alone, when we die we die alone.  And in between we try to make sense of it all.

I think as I grow older that love is harder to find, even harder to maintain.  But then they find out you're a musician and see your drumset in the music room they decided it's not in their best interests to stick around.   And then I'm left out in the cold, back on my own again.  It's been that way as long as my band projects have been around.   Probably the only one that could tolerate me would be another musician.

Working on the new album (Logic And Lies) I have been taken into task going back to old songs and seeing which ones need a upgrade.   And then having bits and pieces of lyric fragments coming into view.

"if we can hold each other tight enough, we can exchange our hearts"  (something that was thought up on the way home and I managed to remember it)

Another song was Sanctuary, a song that Dion wrote but I didn't much like his lyrics, I thought they were about love and finding somebody and maybe they are.  Basically I been ping ponging ideas to Geoff and vice versa.   It's still in a embryo stage and the melody is still not there.

"I got everything, Sanctuary, to protect you from harm
                                                a safeway in my arms
                                               a shelter from the storm  etc etc etc.


It's frustrating how songs take forever to take shape.  It used to be I can write one down and have it recorded within  a couple of hours.  Nowadays, I have distractions that take away writing songs.  Jam Sessions, my regular job, acoustic jams, Popcorn Jams, bargain hunts, getting in the car to look for old scratchy records.  It never ends.  And then trying to write something other than the usual dark songs in favor of a more loving thought. Me writing love songs?  Unheard of, but I have done it before. But I need some sort of inspiration, somebody that has made this life worth living.  It would help to learn how to love again.

Let's face it we are all damaged goods, I have come from a long line of failed relationships  that has made me some sort of damaged in heart but do have some sort of good intentions.  To be kind to somebody, to become a friend with somebody and watch it blossom into something unique.  I may deny of ever wanting somebody in my life but in reality there's a longing for somebody to be with, to understand with and to love with.  But there's no guarantee that they will love you back.  Unless you get lucky with somebody that will.  Which does take time.

My best friend has been married for 16 years to a woman that knows how to tolerate him but love him just the same.  In his younger days he could get just about any woman and I've seen it first hand.  I'm not that way, I dream from afar, love from afar and write songs about it.  I wrote Be With Me with the hope of scoring a date with somebody, that didn't work.  For 1983 standards I thought it was sweet.

"and if you feel like I do, wouldn't you like someone to love you too"?  Be With Me

"I got a undying love for you, for as long as you want me too?
And I'll never leave you far behind, never leave you far behind
Cuz my love will see ya through"  Undying Love

"you are the one that makes my dreams come true
I never thought it would ever be you"  Listen To Love

"she's like the wind, I can't hold her but I'll keep trying"  She's Like The Wind

And somewhere among this jumbled mess of lines and lyrics lies a song in waiting.  In the meantime, I'm pulling out Weather On The Nines to see how Undying Love sounds and how to improve on that. I think it needs a revisit.

Session Two: 4/26/17 At Hoarder House Studios, Stone City IA.

Recorded I Don't Wanna Grow Up (T.Waits/K.Brennan)
with Geoff Redding and Mel Strobie
Producer: Rodney Smith/Terry Bainbridge
Recorder: Martin Daniels/Terry Bainbridge



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.