Sunday 23 April 2017

Various Jams 4/23/17-It Wasn't Planned That Way

Gilligan's Acoustic Pub Set list:

With:
Karl Hudson: Host and borrowed his guitar
Belinda James
Jeff Overly

The First Cut Is The Deepest (Jeff Overly-sax solo)
Love's Made A Fool Out Of You
Teri (Jeff Overly-Sax Solo)
Come Together (Belinda James Vocals)


(Kenny Webb and Ed Butler)


Rumors Popcorn Jam:

Terry McDowell-Host
Ed Butler-Guitar and Vocals (Wicked Game)
Bart Carfizzi-Keyboards and Vocals (I Wouldn't Wanna Be Like You, To Love Somebody)
Kenny Webb-Bass
R.Smith-Drums



Setlist:

I Wouldn't Wanna Be Like You
Wicked Game
To Love Somebody


(Greg Mein)

It may have been Record Store Day Weekend but I ended up hitting the jams in the area.

I was mowing the yard when I got word that Karl was freaking out about not many jammers showing up, so I quickly washed my hair, threw a shirt on and grabbed a guitar and headed into town for the first of three treks.  I couldn't get my guitar tuned right so Karl Hudson was nice enough for me to use his.  I started out with First Cut Is The Deepest and Jeff came up from Fort Madison to help out on sax so I used him a great deal on that song and Teri,  Come Together was rehashed again, but with Belinda doing the vocals since Julie Gordon was getting ready for her gig later in the day.




And I did plan to go to Cooters to watch her and Ryan Paul's new project called Dreams Of Acadia, but I tend to think that Cooters has bad vibes. Saturday was no exception.  Eventually Julie contacted me they had a party going on over at her place, so at the last moment I decided to join in the fun.  For the most we jammed up till about 1 or 2 AM to which afterwards after everybody went home, me and Julie discussed music till sunrise.  It was quite nice to really sit down and get to know Julie one on one about her music tastes. In the past year and a half, she remains one of more giving people that I have known.  Back in the 1990s she was into a more hard rock/metal sort of thing with Kyle Oyloe and as the more we talking her music and Kyle, had I been more "known", there may have been a good bet we could have worked together.  Maybe even this late in life had Kyle lived on. The complaint has been that Julie doesn't sing enough, but her early 90s  stuff she does sound like Grace Jones. Julie blew me away by nailing Dominance And Submission by Blue Oyster Cult on a live tape her band did.  Nevertheless, she did get me to sing one song at the party, a dark cover of Knockin On Heaven's Door. I forgot to bring my guitar but Ryan had his bongos and there was a drum set in the basement, the bass petal didn't work but I made good use out of the snare.  Despite the Cooters's snafu, I think Arcadia might be worthwhile. But any band or group Julie is in, I'll support her all I can.  Or help her get through the night for support if something adverse happens.



In the afternoon, Julie cooked up some organic pizza and I was off to see the Cedar Rapids Kernels win their baseball game 11-2 and got late to the Popcorn Jam which paired me up with Ed Butler and Bart Carfizzi on three numbers, the Alan Parson Project song, then Wicked Game and a cover of To Love Somebody, the last two were  mellow numbers, but Julie did sang Wicked Game Saturday Night and I'm sure it's a part of her and Ryan's set list.  As you can tell in the picture I looked pretty damn ragged but I didn't want to miss out jamming with Kenny Webb on bass.  Upon that, Robert Wallace was hamming it up on stage big time on All Right Now with Trevor Worcel playing powerhouse drums.  But the drummer with the most drive outside of Terry, would be Rob Haskell.  Rob has played with Craig Erickson's band so he knows how make the beat rocking.  People love Trevor and he's a great drummer but he still remains loud and I always keep forgetting to bring my ear plugs when he shows up.  Also, when Kevin Simnacher shows up for jams, he brings his camera.  Which means there'll be plenty of pictures being taken.  He always takes  some crazy shots of me playing drums.  Except for the Julie/Ryan picture, all shots are courtesy of Kevin.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.