Thursday 20 April 2017

Recording the New Album Plus Checker's Jam Highlights

Session One-Recording The New Townedgers Album 4/19/17

Songs:
Drawn In The Dark (Version 1)
Everybody's Talking
Cocaine Train
Drawn In The Dark (Version 2)
Who Do You Love Jam

Production: Rodney Smith with Terry Bainbridge
Recording: Terry Bainbridge and Martin Daniels

With: Geoff Redding and Mel Strobie

I really didn't think I was going to start working on a the new album.  In fact I wanted to get the song of Drawn In The Dark down, so I did two takes.  One is a bit nosier and the second one not as loud.   It's easier just to wake up, grab a cup of tea and get situated before going into recording. And the hope is to find some sort of common ground to record the songs.  Since reconnecting with Terry Bainbridge, he has found a way to get the best drum sound possible from the previous albums (Jubilee and The Wapsipinicon Dreamers) and not overpower the vocals and guitar.  Trying to record guitar and vocals at the same time remains a pain in the ass and a chore.  So the hope was to get close to the microphone and sing accordingly. But also to get Geoff and Mel to figure into the songs and arrangements as well.

Like the previous albums, it's a feeling out period, and of course I embarked on some cover songs as well.  Everybody's Talking has been a part of the acoustic Jam set lists and I do believe that I did a good cover of this song that even Fred Neil would be proud.  I favor his version over the more successful Nilsson hit song.  But I'd rather not do another album of covers like the Wapsipinicon Dreamers album, I want to have more of original songs and I'll be revisiting my songs to see which ones would need a new arrangement.  I have no timetable on completing the album, after all Jubilee is still being  promoted and Diggy Kat has been playing my cover of The Byrds' I Feel A Whole Lot Better.  He paid me a nice compliment saying it's a very good version somewhere in the style of the original band, but when he plays the song on Lucky Star Radio, it makes me feel good, for anytime my songs get played anywhere, particularly cover versions it means a lot.  Diggy has always been a very good supporter of my music and as A and R, has been spot on promoting my music.  Even if it doesn't translate into sales.   I have always said in order for me to cover a song I have to live the song.  I tend to think I did that on Feel A Whole Lot Better and even more so on Everybody's Talking.  Since Forthcoming Trains, my music has taken on new meaning and each jam that I do I get better at what I do.

Cocaine Train was a run through, I'm not sure if it will make the record or not but I wanted to see what direction I could take this song.  Originally done in 1983 and then Russ and Dennis rewrote the music to fit the lyrics a year later Cocaine Train remains one of the few songs that Paraphernalia Tyrus has done live.  Who Do You Love was an after thought and a jam, that might not see the light of day but it was fun re-channeling my inner Ronnie Hawkins growl on that song.  Anyway it's the new start on the new album.


(Photo: Lorey Parker  L to R: Ryan Paul, Jay Devore, Steve Black Wolf, Donna Jo)

Checker's Acousta Kitties Jam (Missing Cathy Hart)

Setlist:

Love's Made A Fool Out Of You
Everybody's Talking
For What It's Worth
Come Together  (Vocal: Julie Gordon)



With
Bart Carfizzi-Keyboards
Joe Hutchcroft-Percussion and vocals
Lorie Parker, Belinda James, Julie Gordon: Backing Vocals

Plus
Carl Meiners
Greg Mein
Ryan Paul
Steve Black Wolf
Jay Devore
Mike Frederichs
Donna Jo Fairley
Mark Randolph (in spirit)

There was storm clouds around the area and there was a thought we might have some severe weather but thankfully that stayed away from Checkers Tavern as I returned back to the acoustic jam for the first time in three weeks.  And I have to say that although I started late that the songs that I did Wednesday Night were almost perfect.  I didn't do any originals but started out with the Bobby Fuller/Buddy Holly song.  Of course it did help that I went over Love's Made A Fool Out Of You and Everybody's Talking before going to Checkers.  That helped a great deal.  And then had Bart did a piano solo on For What Its Worth.  Somehow Ryan Paul became clock watcher and wanted to move on to other acts, but then again, I can't do these jams every week like he can so basically I managed to get one more song to do and it turned out to be Come Together.  And for that song I drafted Julie Gordon to sing it.  First time I played it since the Paraphernalia days and Julie said it was the first time she sang it in years.  For that the tandem of Bartsky and Hutch helped out.  It's interesting to note that Joe has played more of a part of these jams more so than other folks but he's professional and really adapts quite well to whatever I play, be it Feel A Whole Lot Better or For What Its Worth.  But in the four months of acoustic guitar playing the small circle of friends that I made, (Julie, Lorie, the missing Cathy, Steve, Jay and Mike) have been instrumental in helping me shape the songs into something special.  To do Come Together, Julie was much better suited to sing this song than me and for the first time we played together she did a outstanding job.  And I think she's a very special sort of singer/woman, in the time of knowing her we have a sort of chemistry on stage.  Certainly Ryan Paul is a great musician and I must check her act with Ryan if and when I get some time to do so.  One thing that Ryan doesn't bring is a sort of eclectic and eccentric sort of songs and arrangements that I bring to my songs.  He's good, he can play the harmonica and keyboards. But I bring a more garage rock and off the wall attitude then he does.  The weird guy with the big record collection and obscure choice of covers.  That would be me.

Some highlights of note: Steve Black Wolf really did a fine job on Knocking On Heaven's Door and Turn The Page although he turned the high notes over to Lori and Donna Joe.  Carl was back from Arizona and he too did a great job, so did Bartsky and Hutch although Bart was having a bit of programming problems on some songs.  Mark Randolph was out due to carpel tunnel surgery but Belinda came up to support the cause and even had Bart and Ryan play dueling keyboards on It's Been A While.   Julie told me about having a couple of dates playing with Ryan at Cooters this weekend but did mentioned she had Friday off. *sigh*  I told her I have to work and take a raincheck but perhaps there'll be a time we can get together to go check out a band or work on some duets for a forthcoming jam.  I'm certain there'll be a next time.  I told Belinda that if Julie isn't at Whittier or Gilligan's she's drafted to sing Come Together.

It's been a long day and I'm tired and it's 3 AM in the morning.  Time to file this puppy away.

From Diggy Kat

I don't say this lightly but your cover of I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better...good job. i was so scared when i saw you had covered it because to me the song is soooo perfect!!!!! just everything about it!!! it's in my top 3 Byrds songs but i heard your version and i was like "wow...good job, i like it"

From Julie Gordon:

Its always a better jam when your there.

"love ya Julie"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.