Friday 28 April 2017

Thoughts from the Townedger-April Edition

Well, this is the final blog of the month.  I'm working this weekend so no jams to speak of.


(Steve Black Wolf took this photo 4/26/17 at Checkers)

It's been a fun time jamming with the Acousta Kitties on the Wednesday Nights that I can sneak on down there. Cathy Hart, Julie Gordon and Lorie Parker; what can i say that hasn't been said many times before?  Julie has been busy with her new band Dreams  Of Arcadia with Ryan Paul, she'll be bringing the Mad Dogs back to Rumors next month, plus various Acousta Kitties showcases around the town.   I have entertained thoughts about taking her up on a offer to do something together.  I'm thinking of calling it Scratchy Records, a tribute to 45's and record collecting. I'd love to draft Mike Serbousek to play drums on it.

Speaking of The Townedgers, I have begun work on the next album although I have no idea if we'll make it a new album, or just revisit songs from previous albums and bullshit the public into thinking they are new songs.  In theory they are.  I rather not do cover versions but I managed to come up with a version of Tom Waits' I Don't Want To Grow Up.  The version of Everybody's Talking is very beautiful.  There are new songs with melody but no words.  And so far I haven't come up with any noteworthy lyrics to any of them although I tacked on the words to Lee Dorsey's Ya Ya on one of them.  The projected song is called Mystery Wind.

The days are getting longer, not exactly getting warmer though but there'll be plenty of bands outdoors eventually. There's plenty of acoustic jams forthcoming, Karl Hudson's Gilligan's Acoustic Jam on Saturday Afternoon, Whittier Jam second Saturday, Rumors Jams.  There's talk of a Maquoketa Jam but that's not confirmed yet.  Our place of employment might be adding new people this fall.  I just might make it to 30 years there next year. That is if I don't die of a stroke or heart attack.

I have been told that I don't do enough love songs on my gigs, so I was going through some of the better known stuff, Undying Love and Spark Of Life have been practiced but both have a line about never leaving you behind.  Turns out that Spark Of Life was a rewrite of Undying Love.   Be With Me has always been a favorite of those who heard it and I'm trying to update the words so that I don't scare people off  about looking for a wife in the final verse.  That may have scared off the intended person of that song but it was written back in 1983.

I'm debating about getting another K Zildjian cymbal (a 16 inch dark crash) but I have about 30 other cymbals laying around.  I'm not into mixing Zildjians and Paiste cymbals together.  It's one or the other.  Chances are I just put the old Rock Crash back up.

Last June, I did the unthinkable and took off all my clothes for the Madison World Naked Bike Ride Day around the Capital and it was liberating and it was off the wall fun but I don't think I'll be back to do a return trip. I ended up getting major leg cramps afterwards and I haven't rode a bike since.  I doubt if I will be up in Madison before June. Once is enough anyway. 



An interesting thought that came to be about being naked.  I'm sure doing naked bike rides are one thing but baring your soul to anybody is much harder to do, you never know about being ridiculed or looked at like a freak.  Basically I have been using site, not only to tout The Townedgers but also baring my soul and looking at things from a different point of view.  It is hard to let people into my world since I spent more time being the loner.  I am not sure about love, does it exist?  or Friendship? Are we here one day and gone tomorrow, the object of somebody's heart and disires one day, thrown out in the trash the next.  The one thing that eludes us, to be loved and loved back  I guess it can be done, but in my lifetime when I give myself to someone I tend to open up way too much, say too much and then watched them run away.  Which makes me wonder if I said too much. Writing songs is another method of opening up my heart and soul on things. Most of the time people don't care, they don't buy the CD to hear them anyway so it's all a moot point.  

The Townedgers and myself have never played as good as we do now.  Everytime we start recording something things click and we all get along.  Same thing with acoustic jams, when you're charge of the song and arrangements it's all in good fun.  And I'm getting used to a lot of the jammers that I have been associated with.  I'm hoping in the future that I'll be using them more on the songs that I play, Belinda James has been helpful with her singing, so has Julie Gordon.  In fact I think we made it known that Julie should sing more often,   Julie has the New Wave rocker type of vocal, Belinda is more blues and country based.  Cathy Hart is more country sounding, likewise Lorie.

I haven't talked to Rod Albaugh about going back to record any more new music, he's been helping out another band featuring his soon to be son in law.  It's a wait and see (just like it's been the past year or so).


That's it for now. We'll continue this mystery novel next month (around this time) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.