Tuesday 3 December 2019

Parlor City Blues Jam-Make A Joyous Noise

With:
Brook Hoover-Guitar and lead vocals
Russ-Keyboards
Jon Wilson-Bass (Host Drummer)
R. Smith-Drums
Morris-Guitar

Dan Johnson and Tommy Giblin-Hosts

Songs

Call me the breeze
Dimples
One Bourbon, One Scotch And One Beer



(Jon Wilson-Photo Credit...Brook and Dan)

Notes:

Sparse jammers, sparse crowd, a couple songs to appease my being there.  Brookie  always goes to town on these songs,  it's best to follow him.  Fellow drummer Jon Wilson played bass.  He had the lousiest ride cymbal.  So I kept it simple with few drum rolls.  Brian n Kris were not there.

Perhaps I should have stayed at work and sealed books.  To the working musician that can do jams each I salute them.  But when I appear at these jams, it is on my dime and time away from my work. Taking unpaid leave just to hang around for two hours and finish with three short songs is not cost effective, off night and all.  I do have fun when get the chance, but this played in the last time I was there, wait around till George Hanna gets done and I get to do the grand finale with a long song or two or three short ones.   I go by the honor system of tipping when done playing, but I should start tipping by how many songs I play, one dollar for a song, two dollars for two and so on.  But if its an off night for the hosts then perhaps I should have cut my losses and went back to work.  Or go pay Franklin and Julie a visit.    In this case, taking half a night off, I lost 60 dollars just to be a seat warmer.   Time is money and both is something I don't have a lot of anymore.

But then again, it comes down on me.  I simply hung around and watched the TV for a while and George came in later, but he managed to pop up to do about five songs before another extended break.  In order to play I have to make myself known before George pops in.   Hanging in the back of the bar isn't going to get me noticed.

If I made any contribution to the jam, at least I helped Dan Johnson find his missing expensive  ear plug.  I'm as blind as a bat but when Dan was searching the floor, something caught my eye and found it.  At least he can find his, in my situation,  my ear plugs tend to walk off after four or five weeks.

And so it goes.  I'll continue to support the blues and Parlor City and Gibby's and Dan's jams whenever I can.  But it might be a while before I'll get a chance to get back there on a Tuesday Night.

And hopefully it won't be a off night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.