Sunday 1 December 2019

Stone City/Rumors: Craig Dewitte-Still Alive And Well

Stone City General Store Set List:

Fox On The Run
Somewhere Down The Line
Ring Of Fire
Just To Satisfy You
Good Time Charlie
For What Its Worth
Route 66
Gold Dust Woman

Kimberley Trevallion-lead vocal on Gold Dust Woman

With: Lane Gaffney, Ken Becicka, Rocky Smith, Mike Fredericks, Ray Larson, Bill Schlatter, Carl Meiners too, plus Danny Trumm


Sunday Funday Double Drummers at Rumors

Take Me To The River
Greensleeves
Riders On The Storm/Happy Together/Cherie/Big Girls Don't Cry
Get Back
Can't Find My Way Back Home
Tore Up
Same Ole Grind (including drum solos!)

With

Tommy Bruner-Vocal (River,Can't Find My Way Back Home) and guitar
Nate Hines-Vocal (Tore Up, Same Old Grind) and guitar
Dan Johnson-Vocal (Riders, Get Back) and Bass
Tim Kauffman-Drums (Riders, Get Back)
Eric Douglas-Drums (Can't Find My Way Back Home, Tore Up, Same Old Grind)
Terry McDowell-host
R.Smith-Drum soloist and let the other guys had the main beats.

Notes:

An expanded set list of songs, tho I slopped through Somewhere Down The Line.  Instead of Cinnamon Girl, I had Kimberly sing on Gold Dust Woman.  People love to hear her sing.

I'm not too impressed with that waitress at the General Store.  She didn't bothered to ask me if I needed anything so I helped myself to a glass of water.  What drives me crazy is that the place isn't packed and she's too damn preoccupied of singing songs with Lane.  Always the good waitresses that go on to other places are we're stuck with snooty bitches.  Guess I don't tip them enough.  At least make a fracking effort to see if I need anything or a menu.  That also came into play after playing Rumors and going to the La Hacenida on first avenue and waited 5 minutes for the hostess to seat me. So I went down to Los Campendros.  The food wasn't that great but the waitress did her job.  She got a two dollar tip.

My laziness has affected my guitar playing to the point I couldn't remember the words to Somewhere Down The Line.  Route 66, the song got played for the first time.  Kind of a change of pace in trying new songs or revisiting old ones.  I haven't been very inspired in trying to come up with new songs for the next Townedgers album and it has been one big long struggle to do new music.  I hope this is not the end of things for the TEs  but I'm not feeling it at all.

I was surprised to do 8 songs for the Stone City Jam (Lane was very giving of time tho we didn't have many jammers and I opted to do both this and Rumors jam) despite the struggles.  Thankfully people liked what they heard, which is good.  Makes me believe I can still continue to do this.  And Kim was there so I can practice on Gold Dust Woman, the song.   I have no idea if and when Julie will be around to sing that song.   Maybe soon.

Craig Dewitte is still alive and doing fine.  It was the first time I saw him in over 4 years, tho he didn't play guitar at all.  I don't think he can.  I don't think he remembered me from the jams we did together, since I got my hair cut and was wearing a hat and glasses.  I think his fondness for booze destroyed a few brain cells.   He was gone after we got done playing.   He could play a mean guitar  when sober.

It's fun to have another drummer up to play and Tim Kaufman, I helped on the arrangement of Riders On The Storm, to which Dan Johnson went into a oddball melody of sorts.   I signaled Tim on where the breaks were at and he adapted very nicely.    Eric Douglas came up to add more beats to the last three songs, the last to which I got corralled into a drum battle with him on Same Ole Grind.  The lineup of Nate Hines, DJ and Eric have their own arrangements of songs and it turned out the last song was DJ doing a bass solo and then a drum battle.  I'm not much into drum solos, so in the long run Eric won the drum battle.  Eric is one of the best drummers out there, his steady beats provide whatever Nate and DJ do for songs.  Mine was Keith Moon sloppy (as always).    Sloppy but good.

Friday Night, I managed to catch Dreams Of Arcadia play Hy Vee.  Got paid for the Glass Tap gig but gave it right back to Julie to catch up on her bills.  She was more in need of it more than I was.  Saturday, I went to the Winery in Mount Vernon to pay a visit to see Pinicon Drift, I've been owning Dave Pedersen to see them play at some venue.  The place was packed and I had to watch from afar.  I hate going to packed places and bumping into strangers and all that sort of stuff.   When I finally found a decent seat, they had about three songs left to play but I did stay around long enough to chat with Dave, he's got a vocal like Brian Hennenman from Bottle Rockets and I love that band.  He's also done some good albums with the 100s.

We managed to stay clear of the major winter storm of Thanksgiving and the weekend but we did have snow showers on the way to CR.  But not enough to ice up the roads.  We got away with a couple this time out.  We may not be so lucky in this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.