Tuesday 31 December 2019

New Years Eve Jam 2019-The Past, The Present And The Future

Selections include

Shame Shame Shame
Whole Lotta Shaking Going On
All Along The Watchtower
Sweet Home Chicago

With
Kris Bries-Lead vocals and lead guitar
Craig Erickson-Lead guitar and lead vocal on Watchtower
Tristen Gray-Bass
Brian Bries-Rhythm Guitar
Nick Lnenicka-Harmonica
R.Smith-Drums



Tom Giblin, Craig Erickson, Robbie Haskill  And Dan Johnson -Hosts
L to R, Dan, Craig, Rob, Gibby

With

David Lam
Joe Hutchcroft
Ed Butler
Mike Williams
Bonnie Harrison
Scott Sanborn
Mike White


And others.



The Parlor City blues jam has been a big part of the music scene, and also for me a good chance to jam with the blues oriented guys,  Gibby, Dan Johnson, Doug Ducey, Brook Hoover, Bob Dorr, Jeff Petersen, Mark Awad, Ryan Phelan,  the list goes on.   After tonight, Parlor City is putting it on a three month hiatus.   I'm sure the dwindling crowd the past couple months might have figured into that, but since I had part of the night off, I thought I would show my support for the cause.

It's always a pleasure to back up Craig Erickson, the local guitar wizard that has been a big part of the music scene for over 40 years.  But perhaps tonight we can actually witness the changing of the guard. The oncoming of new talent.  Of course Kris Bries was the guitar slinger but we had Tristan Gray, barely 12 years old playing bass.  And of course, Craig.  Me and Brian figured into this as well as Nick the harmonica player too.

We might have done five songs but I know we did four long jams, starting out with the slow burning blues of Shame Shame Shame, but perhaps the telling moment was Craig and Kris dueling it out on All Along The Watchtower and Sweet Home Chicago.  Kris wasn't feeling all the best but he did quite well with the guitar duel with Craig.

I tend to look at my time playing there, just to keep some sort of standard tempo, since Tristan was still learning how to play bass, but I don't mind playing with up and coming kids.  They are the future of music, even if playing venues are getting hard to come by. 

The surprise was seeing David Lam show up and play a few numbers during the break for the hosts.

And so, 2019 ends and 2020 begins.  We started the new year at the Glass Tap in Monticello, worked through about five gigs with The Boy Scout Hippies,  sat in for Notes From The Underground, brought drums to be part of the Waubeek jam, helped Dreams Of Arcadia play Swisher, sat in on a few numbers for Chain Reaction and Wooden Nickel Lottery.   As well, still playing acoustic jams on occasion.

There are so many highlights to remember by.  Tho I did miss out on playing with The American Legends this fall, I did managed to return to Marion City Square Park again to kick off the Freedom Festival and for the first time, did all the songs without the song book.  I managed to play six hours a couple of times at Waubeek when no other drummer showed up.  Even spelled Terry McDowell for a hour a couple times as well at Rumors too.

Julie is doing her best to get me to remember the good and overlook the slight faults that tend to bother me.  She's been through so much this year and the only thing I wish for her is that she would have better luck in 2020.

But somehow, I have managed to be part of a new band, Blues Rox with Kris and Brian picking me to hold the beat.  And got the see the youngster channel his inner Stevie Ray Vaughn in Norway last weekend.  And for 2020, I'll continue to help Blues Rox whenever I can to help them along the way. I'm but a stepping stone for Kris' future.

Overall, 2019 continued a nice musical journey through acoustics, blues and rock and roll.  I haven't done much with The Townedgers but I think I did more helping Dreams Of Arcadia, Boy Scout Hippies and Blues Rox than I could ever do for my own solo stuff and bands. 

For 2020, the road travels onward and more music adventures await.  I can't wait to see and hear the results.

Happy New Year!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.