Sunday 19 January 2020

Blues Rox Debut At The Glass Tap

Last year at this time, I was braving five below temps to play drums for Dreams Of Arcadia at the Dance Mor Ballroom in Swisher.  One of the highlights of 2019, tho the crowd was small.  But then again I'm used to small crowds.



Like last year, we got hit with a fucking  icestorm to go with a snowstorm and I spent two days at home, not wanting to make the trek to anywhere and get stuck in a ditch.  So I missed out on the Four Day Creep Birthday Bash, tho  DJ Hovenstot and Pat Geisland kept the drummer seat warm for Troy Mitchell.  Like last year, we had three straight Ice/snow/Rain storms to fuck things over.  And then cold temps.

But it didn't stop me nor Brian or Kris from not showing up at the Glass Tap in Monticello to play a very spirited four hour long set complete with Kris stealing the show on Voodoo Chile, which took up about 12 minutes.  I think the crowd was so taken back by this version that they all went home soon after.  But even the five people and bartender wanted to hear more songs.  So we messed around with a jump blues number and concluded with a strangled version of Cold Shot.

Again, Kris was the highlight and we both let him have his fun in the spotlight.  Tho, Brian questioned my version of a easy going How Blue Can You Get, I assured him I was still awake.   Besides, after each song I had to push the drums back into their regular spot.  They kept moving.

The Glass Tap owners have been remodeling the place and we came across wooden floors and I got a fucking splinter from a piece of wood before playing but I did managed to take the splinter out.  It was originally was a movie theater. which dates back to 1918. Most recently, it was the former Office Lounge.

The highlights was Kris taking off on guitar leads on the blues songs.  The classic rock songs on the other hand were still a cluttered mess.  We probably need to work on Simple Man or Shooting Star or perhaps myself taking over the vocals to spell Kris.   We may involve a bass player in the future, David Lam, who was there did offer his services.

Crowdwise, I think we did well despite the five above temps and occasional snow flurry in the air, tho by the final set most of have gone home, but we did have a few folk hanging around to support the efforts, including a couple of encores of blues and Stevie Ray Vaughn.    The bartender was so impressed that he offered up another slot for us to play.  March 22nd.

To which I hope the fucking snow and ice will be done by then.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.