Saturday 29 February 2020

Thoughts From The Townedger-Feb 2020 EOM

Unlike last year, we haven't had much snow and ice and cold.  Unlike last year, I had more jams instead.


I like this picture so much I had to show it again.  I love Al.



Billy Bourbon granted my request of getting some pictures with Al Hendricks.  Now I can go to bed happy.



The Dreams Of Arcadia project with Julie and Ryan seemed to be history.  Of course I have said that a few times in the past, but it seems that Julie means that she wants no more to do with Ryan and his antics of Pro Trump this and Pro Trump that.  I always said that they have been a oil and water duo.  When they click, they do a fantastic job, but when they did the CRL gig, opening for Bittersweet, it was a disaster.  I got there late to the show and by then DOA went home.



The thing is, Julie and Ryan are dominant people, they like to be in control of things and control of the songs and how they are arranged.  This is why I haven't done much playing with Julie myself, she had issues with the way I play Stop Dragging My Heart Around, even tho' the version I was playing was like the version she did with the Mad Dogs.  I love her to pieces, and still back her up on drums if need be.  As for the acoustic side of things with me on guitar, I promise nothing.



With Ryan, she had a more musical partner to help her find her inner groove.  I had fun backing them up at The Underground, lower part of The Lumber Yard. And the Glass Tap.  Swisher was a highlight and a joy to do.  Behind the scenes there was a lot of things going against any type of momentum.  And I was looking forward to help them play this Saturday at the Grove but that got canceled. As for the DOA name.....

It's Julie's property and website, and she might  eventually take that page down if she hadn't already.   The action photos of me playing drums, Kevin Sinmacher took them and I gave him some money for his help and trouble.  Those are the ones that you see of me and my own.  But there's not many photos of me with them  at their music site.  If this is their final go around, then it's time to let it go and move on. Knowing them, they should return soon.   https://dreamsofarcadia.com/

 I've been using Kimberly Trevellion or Belinda James for songs when I play acoustic. Kimberly has a new project going with Stacia Roccio on guitar, which would fun to be a drummer in their band but with an evening job and Blues Rox getting my attention, I won't be able to be much help. I'm sure she'll find a decent drummer.  However, Kimberly did sing Stop Draggin My Heart Around, so we might be doing that one together soon.



Along with Blues Rox, I have been talking with Russ about finally jamming with him and John Field this spring.   However, Ron inquired about me replacing Linda while she goes on vacation this summer when the Boy Scout Hippies play.  If  Blues Rox isn't playing, I got Ron's back just in case. Blues Rox comes first for gigs.  I feel this has the best chance to break out in the limelight.  Kris Bries  will go places if he's serious about this.

I think Ron has mellowed the past year or so, he puts his heart and soul into the music and gets people to dance. Linda is a wonderful drummer but I guarantee you when I was behind the drum kit, the Boy Scout Hippies soared to a new level.  If I'm serious about a band, even as a guest star, I will go full tilt 100 percent and then some.  History has shown otherwise but I do help the BSH if they can't find a replacement.

The Thoughts From The Townedger is basically an overview of things on my mind and how I look at things at that particular time.  I look at the pros and cons of my playing and how I fit into the music scene.  Everybody brings their own something to the music scene.  Reality is, playing music is a dying culture, bars and jams come and go and usually bars go out of biz due to the music mafia (the big 4 that send people out to hear music and reports back to the big four if a cover band is playing certain songs).  Used to be music was about the art and covering other bands a appreciation of their music.  The creative ones have been push aside by the money making machine and bean counters looking at the bottom line.  Corporate mergers begin to kill off the bands and major labels used to let band record four or five albums before finding the classic album.  You're lucky if you can make one album without some A and R hire of the week trying to change your vision.  At this point in life, I'm content with the originals that I do play live and of course the covers that nobody else plays.  It's a shame that the 60s of harmony has been replaced by Corporate greed, indifference and what's in it for the majors who will just write the albums off as tax losses.   As for myself, I enjoyed playing in bands when asked to help them out.  For my guitar adventures, it's been an interesting road traveled.  I'd love to help out my love interest whenever I can, it's just we can't agree on the songs played.  The Townedgers may return.  As long as I'm alive anything is possible.  But at the moment, Blues Rox is the best scenario and the most fun, to the point that I would give up doing the Waubeek jam as drum provider.  Plus with Blues Rox, I don't have to play four and half hours either.

And it's Leap Year.   That's it for now.  I'll return tomorrow with the set list from Stone City or Rumors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.