Sunday 2 February 2020

Waubeek/Rumors Jam 02/02/2020

Waubeek All Stars:

Brian Bries
Maki Dervo
David Lam
Nelson Borden
The Colorado Connection
Dougie Kovaik
Danny Timms
Rick Tron
David
Captain Kirksey

A small crowd of jammers but we played longer than we did last month.

I played mostly with the Rutes instead of regular drumsticks and it seemed to work better.  Except for a workout with Maki on Whip Lash and Dead Man's Shirt, I didn't break much of a sweat.

Rumor's Sunday Funday With Terry McDowell And Mandela Effect

Songlist:

Unchain My Heart
Maybelline
Going To Chicago
My Girl Josephine
Green Green Grass Of Home
Stuck On You

Al Hendricks-Lead Vocals and guitar (above tracks)

I Drink Alone
Dead Flowers
Political Incorrect
Get It On (Bang A Gong)
Criss Cross Saw
If You Want To Get To Heaven
Dead Flowers

Randy Burghdorf-Bass (above tracks)

Pay Attention To  Me
The Beauty Of Life And Where It Got Us
Star Spangled Banner
Take Me To The River
Honky Tonk Women

Tommy Bruner-Guitar and vocals
Billy Bourbon-Guitar and vocals
Mark Awad-Bass
Rod  Smith-Drums

Notes:

Al finally got his wish.  I got to jam with him on six numbers.  His version of Going To Chicago I tend to throw a stuttering shuffle aka High Rise/Freddy King, or sometimes a Cissy strut beat courtesy of Zig Modeliste from the Meters.  I can't tell you how or why I decided this beat works, probably not for the likes of Bird or Billy B, but for me it works with that sort of stutter shuffle. I was listening to the Meters most of the week and when Dervo did his Dead Man's Shirt song, it was partly Marti Gras shuffle and part Bo Diddley.  Billy did Cris Cut Saw, I went with what Al Jackson did.  Doing these songs don't take much cymbal hitting, in fact it's more snare fills only.

In the case of Dead Flowers, these guys play it much faster than The Stones do and it kinda throws me off.  I suspect that Randy would like for me to be more animated on drums, but I have found, it's better to stay more in the background then overpowering the band or going too fast.  Randy will cue me in, if I go too fast on the slower songs, which is more harder to play for me, than it is to them.

Billy did try three originals, The Beauty Of Life is actually and off the wall blues slowed down, Pat Attention To Me is a tongue in cheek about the crowd and the over-reliance on cellphones, somewhat like All Along The Watchtower perhaps?  Billy also dusted off some debuts of I Drink Alone, Bang A Gong and If You Want To Get To Heaven, sans harmonica.   It's kind of nice to do something different.

Tommy actually started up a riff that was Mama Let Him Play (Doucette) but I told him the version that he did with Gladstone Parnell Band was the first version that I knew about this song.  I have done the song on occasion, but not recently (probably with West 66, when Mike Serbousek had to do a bathroom/beer break), somehow the conversation went over to Mike Swearingen and his remake of Heartbreak Hotel to Unique Motel, the infamous no tell motel that used to be by St Lukes Hospital. I did told Tommy that we did record Unique Motel, as a gag song.  He said he wasn't surprised that came from Mr Swearingen.

It was Joe Hutchcroft and me as the drummers of note outside of Terry, and he got most of the night off.  I might have played for over an hour and a half.  Which went with the five hours of drumming at Waubeek.  The only other jammer was Mark Awad who spelled Randy for the final half hour.   Karl Hudson was there but was more interested in watching the Super Bowl.

So Terry let me finish the jam and I eventually would find my way to Cancun to catch up with Russ and watched the KC Chiefs win the super bowl 31-20 over San Francisco.  Russ wanted Green Bay to be in there but the 49ers beat them.  On a side note, it was fifty years ago that KC defeated Minnesota 23-7.  It was that rare time that I saw Russ cry over a game.  Somewhere beyond the horizon, his dad was watching.  San Francisco had two big gains so I mentioned something to the effect and told Dad to help the Chiefs win and strange enough the one pass got knocked down and another sailed over the head of the WR and the third one was intercepted.  So I'm sure Dad had something to do with that.

Afterward Russ did mentioned about the possibility of playing again, maybe with John Field.  I heard that before but this time out the wheels were set in motion.  So I'm sure we'll get together again real soon.

Overall, a very busy week of drum practice for me.  Stone City was bypassed in favor of nice weather and a walk around New Bo.  I'll return back to the General Store next Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.