Sunday 9 February 2020

Whittier and Various Jams-Everybody Looks Good With A Hat On

Whittier Acoustic Showcase Songlist:

Fox On The Run
Let Your Love Flow
Love's Made A Fool Out Of You
I Hear You Knocking
Spark Of Life
For Shame Of Doing Wrong.

Notes:

I got the old songbook out and revisited a few songs that I haven't played in a while.  I Hear You Knocking was the first time I ever did without Belinda James' singing it.

We had 10 artists playing Whittier, and most stayed the full three hours but most cleared out when I did my final song.

Ken Becicka, who usually plays at Stone City with Carl Meiners played Whittier for the first time in over two years.  First time I ever heard him sing.


Funday Sunday with Terry McDowell and Mandela Effect at Rumors

Songs:

Love Me Like A Man
Drift Away
Gimme One Good Reason
Middle Of The Road
Call Me The Breeze
Bobby McGee

Kim Trevillion-Lead vocals
Billy Bourbon-Guitar and Vocals
Tommy Bruner-Lead Guitar
Randy Burghdorf-Bass
Jeff Craft-Percussion
Bob Gleason-Harmonica
Me, Myself and I-Drums




More Notes:

A weird little get together.  When they play Call Me The Breeze I find myself on the opposite end of the beat.   I still cannot find myself to slow down on the slower songs and really have to rely on Tommy or Bird to maintain that steady slow beat.  The Bobby McGee song Billy signaled to end it, Bird motioned to keep going.  I didn't think it should have been edited but then again, I didn't follow my own rule and keep playing.  That stuck out like a zit.

Bird's philosophy sometimes clashes with my own on playing certain songs.  A clash of egos perhaps, what he hears on songs like Love Me Like A Man and what I hear are two different things.  Somehow, I have to find that groove he's looking for.  He does tend to favor the recorded versions of songs, whereas I tend to improvise.   I don't foresee any changes in the future of jamming, I know what's he trying to do.  I just have to interpret in the style that I play.

I backed Kimberly up on her songs,  Joe Hutchcroft took over for his songs and the Boy Scout Hippies.   In the past, I was best known for bashing the fuck out of Rocky Mountain Way with that bombastic blues beat.  In reality, Joe owns that song.



Tami Soukup was there too.  Even tho we are on opposite sides of the spectrum of who is the POTUS, I still love her as a good friend.

As for any band projects with Kimberly, we don't have anything written in stone and since I'm working evenings, I have turned down a couple working bands since none supplies health insurance.

I don't think I played all that great today, I'm still a bit bothered by the off beat of Call Me The Breeze and Bobby McGee but the crowd thought I did a great job playing drums.  I tend to be harsh on myself between the continuing of butting heads with the guys of playing fast and I asked David, Kim's boyfriend if he head anything different and he said no.  So we'll leave it that and improve for next week.

I haven't played Rocky Mountain Way all that much over the years and my repetition for bashing the hell out of the cymbals is still the stuff of legends make but I think Joe Hutchcroft has taken over the rights of that doing that song right.  His version was damn near perfect.

Stone City jam was canceled.  Bart thought the roads were too slick and they might have been up around my area.  In CR, there was no snow or icy roads going into town.  We lucked out and missed out on a winter storm that give about a foot of the white crap around Minnesota and Northern Iowa.



The Five Best Drummers: (outside of your's truly-Tami Soukup Photo Credit)

Jon Wilson
Terry McDowell
Robbie Haskill
Dana Rocky Smith
Joe Hutchcroft

And Troy Mitchell too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.