Sunday 28 June 2020

The Return Of The Wesside Jam-Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog

With:



Terry McDowell (Drums)
Tommy Bruner  (Guitar far right)
Billy Bourbon  (Guitar to the left)
Jeremiah Murphy  (Bass)
Dakota McWhortor
Nick Lnenicka
DJ Hovenstot
Mike Lint

and Myself on these songs.



Songs:

Mary Jane's Last Dance
You Can't Always Get What You Want
I Shot The Sheriff
Jumping Jack Flash
Fire
Midnight Rambler
Pink Houses
Cross Roads
Take Me To The River

Billy Sang Mary Jane, I Shot The Sheriff, Jumping Jack Flash, Fire, Pink Houses
Tommy sang the rest of the songs.  He also took this photo below.

Kimberly Trevillion-Missing in action




Notes:

The return of the Rumors Wess Side jam and like the rest, a lot of folk stayed away but a few folks did show up.  Jeremiah was in place of Randy Burghdorf who decided to stay home.   It was the first time we got together since the second week of March.

The song ideas were interesting. For I Shot The Sheriff, they called for a reggae beat and I ended up trying to play the one Carlton Barrett plays for Bob Marley.  It was quite rough but Terry mentioned that it sounded good.

It was the first time I reconnected with Dakota since he broke away from Ron's Boy Scout Hippies.  He was doing temp work for Bob Gleason's Electric.  I didn't really want to grill him about the exit from BSH, but he just simply had enough of Ron's antics.  So it was a clean break.  I was supposed to play for BSH last night at Marion but the girl drummer came back and Tommy Bruner played guitar in Dakota's place.  Dakota played a long second set with Mike Lint on drums.

Tommy likes to play You Can't Always Get What You Want in a more funkier arrangement than the Stones and more slower versions of Take Me To The River n Crossroads.  With that, I had to follow Tommy's lead on that. I have played Crossroads to a blazen fast beat and River got a more faster beat.  Despite the blotched beginning, Midnight Rambler might have been the best version that we ever did.

Terry mentioned that they did the Peter Tosh version of Johnny B Goode.  I think due to not being around the guys, I got a bit stiff on the beats but I really think, while it didn't sound that convincing, it didn't stand out with off beats.  Jeremiah, is well versed in playing more of a funkified beat, being part of Dr. Z's Experiment with Ryan Phelan.   The trick is not to overplay.

The song selections were extended.  Dakota came back up and it was guitar wars with Tommy n Billy on the last four numbers.  The version of Fire (Pointer Sisters, not Hendrix) was basically straight ahead beat and watching Billy for the breaks.  Pink Houses was done in a more blues shuffle than the original version.  I thought that was kinda odd.



The finale was Take Me To The River, a bit slowed down but we bumped it up toward the end with a triple guitar duo and then seeing Mr. Murphy pop up on top  of his bass amp and jumping like a frog. It was hard for me to keep from laughing after seeing this.  To which afterward DJ Hovenstot took over for me.  I couldn't top that one.



(The Rumors gang:  Ann, David, Tami and Shelly)

Saturday we had the Quarantine Jam Part 2 at Steve Black Wolf's place and while Dave Bonham and Tommy Bruner had paying gigs, they were replaced by Barb Francisco and her hubby Bob and Tim Nemec and Rose Slaymaker (part of the Egads band).  Donna Jo came by later and she helped on For What's Its Worth, Steve Black Wolf and I did a few songs together and Ole 55. Virginia Harlow arrived later.  Somehow she derailed a couple songs from me to which after messing me up on Sundown, I put my guitar away.  I think she got the impression that I wasn't too happy with her but I told her don't worry about it.  Jams are jams.  Nobody is going to remember them the next day...unless I write about it.  In typical fashion, Julie and Molly Jennings  didn't take part in the Q 2 jam.  I didn't expect either one.


I didn't take part in the Stone City Acoustic Jam.  Since I played guitar yesterday, I decided to go with a drums only jam participation.   We think there'll be a jam next week, I don't see why not, but if Cedar Rapids gets hit with another CORNY virus part two, lets just say we had fun with this.

Billy Bourbon took the two photos of Jeremiah jumping on top of his bass amp.  The man comes through with some of these pictures that he takes.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.