Tuesday 30 June 2020

Thoughts From The Townedger-End Of June Ramblings

So here it is.  Summer's here and the time is right for fighting in the street boy.



It's hard to keep a positive spin on things this year and with dealings from a careless administration, a clueless governor and everything else going on.  Going up to Madison last week only to find that the fools tore down statues and going around with bullhorns and basebats to proclaim how unfairly they have been treated.   I try to leave politics out of things but what I have seen this summer and the CORVID virus shutting things down again, let's just say I'm pissed at the world

There's pros and cons of playing with your better half..  We have clashed on our musical direction.  When you haven't played together for almost a year, that says a lot.  Looking at our pictures together it's sad to see that in the beginning there was a closeness that made the songs fun to play together.  I see the photos from 2019 and there's a invisible wall, even our last photo together it felt like the end of a chapter.  There are a couple things that stand out.  One was when she played Checkers'  and I bought my guitar up just to sit in on a number, and I played one song and got rushed off the stage, something to the effect that I was driving away the customers.  There was only 10 people in there and they were heading toward the door before I sang one song, the other was the March gig, when she asked if I was at her gig.  Unless there was a clone there, I was.   Since then, we haven't spoken much to each other.






That said, I do love to hear Jules  sing.  Walking After Midnight when she walked me to the car that night was so romantic I almost had tears in my eyes.  She inspired me to write the album Logic N Lies, to which the album did have a happy ending.  It was a joy taking her to the movies, backing her up in Dreams Of Arcadia and Checkers' jam.  On the date Elvis passed away 41 years after the fact, the spell was broken.  Despite our efforts, it never would be the same.  She has her share of bad luck the past couple years, I'm the least of her worries.  She's slowly getting back on her feet after the house caught fire and has a new place.  I haven't been there but they tell me it's a nice place.  And I do miss playing and singing alongside her, if it means anything. But I can tell when she doesn't respond to the things I write or promoting her band that she's moved on.  I'd settle for a simple hello and thinking of you once in a while.  We still remain as friends, and people do split apart.  I still love her to pieces but together, it wasn't working.

Finally, it's a blessing that she's in a working band, The Truth (formerly Everlou).  They are playing July 18th at Hy Vee outdoors.  The same day Blues Rox is playing Norway again.  I'll pass the word wherever she plays, because I care.  Another of my faults.




On the situation with Ron and the Boy Scout Hippies:   I guest drummed for them last year. There could be some summer gigs but with the regular drummer into place, I don't see myself with them anymore.    With Dakota breaking away, Ron has become unstable and flies off the deep end more than he should.  Dakota should get severance and hazard pay from being with him for so long.  Ron is blessed with a good wife, who also makes great money too.   She's helps him living the rock and roll dream.  Dakota is a very talented guitar player.  I'd love him to be in my band any time.



It was great to get back playing at the jams this month but the COVID19 plague is still around and playing indoors means wearing a mask.   I've been lax on recording the new album and each passing day gets me less inclined to finish it.  Terry Bainbridge says we do have enough songs to make an album.  It just wouldn't be very long.



As I look back upon my youth, it pains me to see my old self during the high school years.  The goofy smile, the long extended nose and the look of a poor white trash boy from the other side of the tracks.   I hated high school with a passion, I got beat up every other day, getting stiffed on dates and for thirty plus years thinking of the one that got away, who chased me in my sophmore and junior year and we could never muster the habit of asking one out to date.  I was watching My So Called Life about the high school dance and seeing the awkward dude telling his original date he was going to take somebody else and watching her fall apart. Somehow I felt like the rejected girl when that happen.  I tried asking Janice out, but it came out so fucking clumsy I retreated back to my safe zone. I suppose in the long run, every boy and girl still has to grasp the habit of asking for dates. But in My So Called Life, Brian Krakow was me.  That show still hits home harder than anything else.



It was great to see the jammers at Rumors Sunday, and I'll continue to support their jams (as well as Stone City and the Artisan Sanctuary)  but if the virus spikes high again next month, we'll be staying home.



Congrats to my used to be significant other Nicole for deciding to get married to her long time BF Steve.  I always told her whoever stayed with you longer than I did, you should marry him.  Guess she took my advice.   This weekend, Kim Travillion will tie the knot with David Kurzen, they been together for a couple years.  Alas, the chance to play the Blues Festival Tryouts this year has been canceled.  Hopefully she'll get a chance with a band next year.

To which on that, we're done for another bunch of pointless observations.   We're halfway through a shit year.   And still alive but playing to an audience of one.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.