Sunday 5 July 2020

Weekend Jams-Five Years Onward

Friday Night Birthday Bash with Meinfield and Wooden Nickel Lottery.

Songs

Can't You See/Heard It In A Love Song
Copperhead Road
Losing My Religion
Tequila
Wanted Dead Or Alive
Listen To The Music
Long Train Running
Ain't No Sunshine

With:
Rich Toomsen-Guitar, bass and vocals
Jess Toomsen-Bass Guitar and Vocals
Shawn Ster-Lead vocal and guitar (Wanted, Listen To The Music, Long Train Running)
Rick Gallo-Vocal and guitar (Ain't No Sunshine)
Cathy Hart-Lead Vocal (Long Train Running)
Donna Jo Elsner-Vocals and percussion
Delayne Stallman-Drums
Rodney Smith-Drums
Phil Bo King-Guitar


Notes:

Wooden Nickel Lottery provided most of the entertainment Friday night.  I helped out Shawn Ster on the Bon Jovi/Doobie Brothers number, we tackled Copperhead Road with precision, and attempted Tequila for the first time ever. Greg and Brenda announced that this would be their final Fourth Of July party and are moving to Utah once Greg retires.


Saturday Night: FB Company-Boy Scout Hippies

Ron LaFluer-Lead vocals and guitar
Tommy Bruner-Sang Dirty Water, and played guitar
R.Smith-Played Drums

Since I missed out on the Epic Center gig last week, Ron offered this Fourth Of July fireworks gig at the last moment and I took him up on it.  Tommy says he enjoys this sort of gig, where Ron does most of the singing and he can sit back and play. Except for a messed up Gimme Shelter, I think we did very well.  First time being part of the BSH since March of last year.

No AC inside FB company, so I sweated off about 10 pounds and played a varied set with Tommy and Ron.  With Dakota it was anything goes but with Tommy it's very restrained.  Not that I minded that much.  The fireworks show during breaks was kinda disappointing, plus I bit by about 10 mosquitoes in the process.


Stone City Song list; Maki Dervo Host, with Bill Schlatter, Carl Meiners, Danny Trumm and Guitar Dave Bonham and Bart Bock

Songs

Fox On The Run
Jet Airliner
I Always Wanted To Be With You
For What It's Worth
Logic And Lies
Get It Over With
Good Time Charlie

Small crowd but I got an early slot to play and managed to add a couple more than I usually do.  Get It Over With was sped up for some odd reason.  The highlight was singing I always wanted to be with you and have a hummingbird come up to hear the song flying over me.  And a couple of monarch butterflies that appear later on Logic And Lies.  I guess my winged friends want to hear more originals in the future.


Rumor's Wess-Side Jam, Brought to you by Terry McDowell and Friends.

Songs:

You Can't Always Get What You Want
Good Morning Little School Girl
Before You Accuse Me
Running Down A Dream
Knocking On Heaven's Door
Never Been To Spain
Black Magic Woman
Turn The Page
Ain't Living Long Like This
Brown Sugar


Billy Bourbon-Sang on most of the songs and played guitar
Tommy Bruner-Sang on The Rolling Stones numbers and played guitar
Ted Reilly-Played Bass
Morris-Rhythm guitar
I played drums on this segment.


After playing the Stone City acoustic jam, I bopped into Rumors to conclude this jam.  To which Ted played bass.  He was the first guy I jammed with on bass in the first Wrigleyville jam and my first jam actually.  Tommy got a double dose of me, since we played Saturday night in Waubeek.

I got there around 6 15, just in time to chat with Cyndi Mahoney for a spell and got to see a strange segment with Logan Arnold and Layne Goldsberry with Sir Bob Miller trying to figure out what the hell Logan was on and was trying to play.  Their version of Sunshine Of Your Love was different, Sir Bob not exactly playing the off beat right but rather a straight beat.  Layne relieved Logan with Rebel Yell and then Logan botching up I Want You To Want Me.  I wasn't sure what other songs they played, it all was noise to me.  Usually Logan is better than this, it sounded like he hadn't picked a guitar up in about a couple years.

Moving on, the Sunday Funday band attempted to do Running Down A Dream, a song I tend to overplay and too fast as well but it sounded okay,  Black Magic Woman altered from the Fleetwood Mac stomp to Santana to the Open Highway band.  Brown Sugar was dusted off for the first time, Tommy sang it but was not too impressed, but for a first time ever with this band, it went well.  And then after that, Cyndi' spilled her drink on my lap afterwards.   I guess she was too excited to hear how good we play.

Anyway, five years onward from my first jam and Ted returns to be my rhythm mate.  His wife Karen was there, she was the one to convince me to play live once again.  To which I raise my glass to her in a toast.

We have turned full circle again.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.