Thursday 9 July 2020

Artisan Sanctuary: Five Years To This Day.

Realitesville
Smiling Faces Sometimes*
For What It's Worth
Everybody's Talking
Street Fighting Man*
Ring Of Fire
You Can't Judge A Book By It's Cover
Logic And Lies

*Debut



Colton Thompson-Lead vocal on Logic And Lies. (I'm not a big fan on this photo, it makes look like the Robo Cop dude with the red eye, which is my readers on so I can read the songbook)

With: Jim Jacobmeyer, Dave Bonham, Phil Bo King and MJ.



(five years ago, the stranger came up to play drums. the Female keyboard player I can't remember the name but Dan Hartman, Dave Bonham and T Ray are the other jammers)

Five years ago to this date, Dave Bonham and T Ray Robertson welcomed me into the jams.  T Ray has passed on but Dave was at the open mic tonight in Marion.



We had to deal with two monsoon storms this afternoon, thus curtailing my mowing the yard and me going over a few songs.  Still annoyed with a certain somebody Sunday at Rumors, I started learning the Undisputed Truth's Smiling Faces Sometimes, and added a bit of Keith Richard's riffs.  For a naked first run through, it went quite well.  Dave requested Everybody's Talking so I did that one and Colton  wanted to hear some Johnny Cash, so Ring Of Fire was offered.

Earlier in the day, I was going over Sail Away To A Brand New Day, and starting playing that riff but it turned into Street Fighting Man so I decided to do that song instead for the first time ever live.  I'm surprised went better than expected.  But I still would have do a bit of tweaking around to make it sound better.  Had some sexy woman dancing along to that. But she had her husband with her, She mentioned that she worked at the Stone City General Store a few years ago.

Tonight's showcase I played the Silvertone guitar, which Julie gave me last year.  Needless to say it stayed in tune through the show (unlike last year when the new strings kept going out of tune) and it sounded quite good through the monitor.  Very light and easy to play, it's not a heavy guitar like the Telecaster and Strat.   Since Julie has quarantined herself from people, it's the closest thing I have that reminds me of her.   I gave that guitar her name just for the fact that I helped her through some trying times last year. 

In terms of theory, I wanted to do more originals but I had requests to do other songs such as Ring Of Fire and Everybody's Talking.   MJ and Phil Bo did All Along The Watchtower before me, so I had to cross that one out.  I figured Dave wanted to do Everybody's Talking but he wanted me to play that instead.  Cotton requested Logic And Lies, but he wanted to sing it, so I modify it a bit so he could sing it his way.   He sang the chorus twice after the verse.  I sang backup as a guide vocal.  For somebody who hasn't heard it in a year or so, he did better than average.



(Dave, five years after Wrigleyville)


Not a lot people due to the CORNY epidemic, but I had my mask and put it back on my face after singing.

Colton did some karaoke singing afterward and Steven Berry concluded the jam at around 9 30.



(Phil Bo and MJ with Patrick Ticklenburg)

So five years ago, I came up to the Wrigleyville jam in an attempt to see if I could play alongside others.  I was nudged on by the fact that Forthcoming Trains was great enough to get play on the radio and spirited up my courage to play once again, thanks to Rod Albaugh's encouragement.  The drums took a while but I finally found my groove and the guitar playing came later, tho I did play some rough songs at the Wrigleyville Jam.  Being a part of Stone City and Sanctuary open mics, I finally found my voice and guitar playing.  I don't expect much to come out of this but as a hobbyist gigging, I'm still having fun with this.

And time goes by way too fast.

(the slimline photos are from Marijane Euchner aka MJ)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.