Sunday 26 July 2020

Rumors-The China Syndrome

Songs

You Can't Always Get What You Want
Working Man Blues
Take Me To The River
Mercury Blues
Can't Find My Way Home
I Used To Work In Chicago
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Dirty Water


Tommy Bruner-Lead Vocals and amazing slide guitar
Mike (Bear) Clair-Guitar and Lead Vocal (Working Man Blues, Peaceful Easy Feeling)
Jeremiah Murphy-Bass
Morris-Guitar
R.Smith-Drums
Terry McDowell-Drums and host

Notes:

Jeffrey Brown cleaned my clock about doing yard work yesterday and getting heat exhaustion.  Yeah, I wanted to get the yard work done but killing myself in 105 heat index and a dew point of 83.  So I basically stayed home and contented with sleep and Perry Mason reruns.

With Stone City jam not going through, (the storms never did came) I went to support the Rumor's cause and it was a large crowd.  The highlight was The Bear and Renee Clair popping up for the first time since December of 2018 and playing about 8 songs and goofing off on a couple others.  Semi retired, Mike doesn't come down from Vinton all that much, I think he did a couple times last year but didn't play. 


For the most part, it was Tommy Bruner that did the majority of songs and he was on fire today.  Probably some of the best playing he's done this year, and that's saying something.  His slide work on Mercury Blues really got the crowd going.  For Can't Find My Way Home, I played more of a jazzier type of melody rather than what Terry would play. Very much improvised   I could not find a regular beat. With Jeremiah's expertise in jam bass guitar playing, I let him do the major rhythm while I did some ride cymbal accents.  I think It went okay.

Morris returned for the first time since open heart surgery and being away for two weeks was record time.

While the Bear doesn't venture out much, his sense of humor was in tact, and somehow we were talking about china cymbals and the china effect, which got me cracking up.  Terry has a nice 2002 china crash which is nice n mellow.  So we had a lot of bad jokes and concluded with a major china cymbal accents on Dirty Water.   I told the guys I can bring about five other china cymbals if need be next time.  They didn't think that was funny.

Alas, this day marked the day that my Discman finally died, after playing the Peter Frampton Blues Band album, the motor died.  So I guess I will try out my Jensen discman, found for 2.88 at goodwill.  I hope I can find another Discman before too long.  I had this for about 16 years.  Time to recycle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.