Sunday 12 July 2020

Rumors-Reunion With Julie

Songs:

First Mini Set

Black Magic Woman
Sympathy For The Devil
I can't get no Satisfaction
Comfortably Numb

Mini set two

Do It Again
Message In The Bottle
Join Together
Long Train Running
Low Rider
Get Back
Cocaine


Terry McDowell-Host and drum provider
Billy Bourbon-Lead singer and guitar
Tommy Bruner sang on  Message, Get Back and Comfortably Numb
Layne Goldsberry-Bass
Nick Lnencki-Harmonica
Morris-Guitar
Rod Smith, Sir Bob Miller, DJ Hovenstot-Drums n Percussion.



(Sir Bob Miller, Kimberly Hovenstot, me, George Melchner, Mike Lint, Morris-Billy Bourbon:photo)

I'm sure there might be another song that we did but what stands out that we did Join Together by the Who.  On Long Train Running, me and Sir Bob traded drum stools, and I took over the main drum set while Bob reclaimed his drum set.   Plus DJ and me double drummed on Comfortably Numb, to which Tommy always plays his butt off on that song.

Oh yeah, the drummers were too loud.  Nobody could hear over the drums.  Of course I patterned Sympathy for The Devil from the Get Your Ya Yas Out Rolling Stones version.  Of course I was gonna get yelled at anyway.

Logan Arnold gave me a nice compliment after I got done playing, he's related to Travis Arnold and Logan has played the jams a couple times. 

It did help having another drummer up there, I wasn't in the best of shape.  I spent the afternoon seeing Julie and playing with Franklin once again.  First time I saw her since March.  Since her bass player tested positive for the CORNY virus, The Truth Band had to cancel their gigs for the weekend. We did practiced social distancing from one another tho.  No hugs, no kisses.

Friday Night, Tiffany Z came into town with her band Bad Dog 2020 in North Liberty.  This is her forth band in five years, playing with Motorboat, Fifty Shades Of Rock, Freeport Social Club and now Bad Dog 2020.  They have a couple rough spots, Sweet Emotion the example, but the two guys were pretty cool to hang with.

Saturday, we got hit with straight line winds that knocked trees over in celebrating my best friend's B day.  The power was still off at Waubeek when I paid Ron and Tommy a visit, Lynda playing drums.  I didn't play, I was there to watch and have fun.  Lynda holds her own on drums, she's perfect for what Ron plays anyway.

The CORNY virus has kept a lot of musicians away from Rumors' since its indoors and a lot of musicians (including Julie) do not want to go into a bar full of drunks and not social distancing. All of the guest stars were drummers and I'm guessing that's why I haven't seen Al Hendricks or Greg Nost or others show up.  I take a mask and put it on at various times and wash hands.  At the moment, the jams will continue but without other guitar players, the owner might think to pull the plug despite our best efforts.

For the most part the Rumors jam hadn't have much for other players, tho Logan Arnold did play last week, and Dakota the week before.  The guess is gonna to see what will happen next week.  There may be a rethink of continuing the jams but as for me, I'm still all in.

Finally Morris says afterwards, that he has to get open heart surgery on Tuesday and will be out of action for a while.   I hope and pray that he will return.  We don't need to lose any more musicians around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.