Sunday 9 February 2014

Love's Not Here

Writing songs for me was a way to relieve my frustration with life and the opposite sex.  Plus it was much cheaper than going to a Psychologist too.

Around 1990 I struck up a conversation with a dancer/stripper from Denver who seemed to be interested in talking to me so she left me her number.  And throughout 1990 I managed to talk to her answering machine about four or five times.   But "thinking" I could be the alternative to her lifestyle, I actually thought I could her one and only.  Such a naive dude.

Melissa seemed nice, we could talk tunes and at the same time she do her dance routine and do the usual things that drive me wild and write crazy songs in the process but I also found out the hard way that it was a business not personal thingy, to entertain the other guys in the room at the old Dancers Ranch in Hiawatha or Cedar Rapids or Coralville I'd invest my time to waste three or four hours hoping to talk to her or at least go out for supper.  That never happened.

I wrote a couple songs that dealt with Missy, one was Star! which appears on the so so Purseyors Of The Truth and then this ditty bopper that was part of the sessions for Nice Weather We're Having but left off.  It made it on a outtakes cassette (you remember tapes don't ya?) but later was remade for the 2003 20 album during a sound check and Hugh McConnell (GD I can't type today) captures all the glory. With myself sounding more pissed off than ever, even though by then Melissa and I never seen each other after 1991 to which Sweet Melissa was composed for Diamonds In The Skies and perhaps the best song written for our favorite Dancer From Denver.  To which I started recalling certain things in the song and thus the vocals got a bit more pointed.   I do recall this fat dude that bought her a big batch of flowers on the night that I gathered up the courage and bought her a vase of flowers at the local flower shop and have them delivered.  While she thought they were nice, she spent most of that time in the fat dude's arms, and after promising to go grab a sandwich at Burger King proceeded to bolt out the back door to McDonalds with another stripper friend.

That pretty much ended any attempts to keep this waste of time relationship going.  From 1990 Love's Not Here (A lesson learned the hard way).


LOVE'S NOT HERE

She pulls the shades to begin her routine
She didn't even bother to say Goodbye
She even said that she would call later
But we heard this story before

Just a big time dancer and a small town boy
Who thought he found the perfect babe
Disappointed but I'm not surprised
You look for love but love's not here

So he brought her flowers just to show that he cared
Well she did think that they were nice
Till some guy one bettered and brought her two
He really expected more from her

He wasted his time, he wasted his money
Just to show he was special
He took a chance on a billion to one shot
Looking for love but love's not here

It appears to me that we're not making progress
She's sending signals but our line's are being crossed
I'm getting tired waiting just to hold her
I'm not going sit in this place forever

See the stripper sneaking out the back door
There goes your dinner date
Still he waited till she got back and said
Goodbye you've seen the last of me

She was her man? No just "casual" friends
Although he wished it could have been more
(he said) Somebody's looking for me and I know
It's not you bitch, and Love's Not Here!

C1990 Townedger Music Emporium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.