Wednesday 4 October 2017

Acousta Crabby At Checkers 10/4/17

Checker's Tavern Wednesday Night Acoustic Get Together

Hosts: Julie Gordon/Greg DeGood

Songlist:

Won't Get Fooled Again*
Midnight Rider
Please Send Me Someone To Love
In The Midnight Hour
Summertime Blues

Part 2:

Get It Over With
Light My Fire
Tulsa Time
Everybody's Talking
Gold Dust Woman**
For What It's Worth**

Encore:

Seven Bridges Road

*debut
** Julie Gordon: Lead vocals and tambourine

with

Carl Meiners
Mike Frederick
Greg DeGood
Julie Gordon

"We can cut it in any key"  Chicago-intro to What's This World Coming To?

The usual going on.  Mark Randolph moved back to Waterloo and has given up music once again, leaving The EGADS! to figure out the next step.  My place of employment getting busy for the fall processing season and this week figures to be the final week of playing jams and gigs.  It's strange how I go into these jams thinking I'm not going to do anything and then all of a sudden I dig down deep inside and pull off one of the best gigs I've done solo.  I thought the Vinton benefit was a highlight, the March jam at Checkers when Russ was there was a highlight and a few other gigs but tonight might have been even epic for me.  We can blame it on the harvest full moon.

Still I had things to do before getting to Checkers', namely a 349 dollar muffler bill to replace a converter on the old car.  Russ thinking I need to get a new car but then again Russ thinks I'm made out of money and Corsica is still in good shape to drive, not bad for 25 year old car.  So, if it runs, I'll drive it till it either rusts out or blows up. Which ever comes first.

Right off the bat, was the debut of Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who and I know Pete Townsend did a acoustic version of it way back in 1980 and it actually came out quite well and not a lot of mistakes, pretty nifty for a first time debut.  I have a gravely voice so I basically played around with Please Send Me Somebody To Love and Summertime Blues, something short and simple and leaving room for other jammers to come back on stage to reprise some of their songs.

I think Julie took plenty of pictures of me hamming it up on Get It Over With or Light My Fire. Carl wanted to hear Tulsa Time so I did that one. I had one guy out there in the audience singing away on Light My Fire and For What Its Worth, the man was floored on how Julie could sing Gold Dust Woman. Yes she can sing it and yes she remains the best that can sing Gold Dust Woman when she's on. She said she might have messed up but I didn't hear it.  I tended to throw her off guard with oft chords and melodies on that song but she did all right.  She ended up taking the lead on For What Its Worth with the guy in the background singing away.  I enjoy having people sing along, this is what makes music fun and exciting.

Like the Friday Long Branch Acoustic Jam there wasn't many musicians out there, which meant more songs for those who showed up. I didn't think I was going to do this many songs, I had an idea for about 5 songs at the very most and what Julie wanted to do, Gold Dust Woman for sure, anything else was up to her. I find it a bit amusing that Greg didn't know the song but if given time to work with her, Greg could do a nice job of it for the next time they get back together in two weeks.  By then I'll be dealing with a regular job and trying to get along with co workers, temp help and the Creature from Third Shift working OT.

Nevertheless, I think I did a pretty good job and with minimal mistakes.  I might be getting somewhere in my acoustic adventures.  Carl has been practically begging me to check out the Stone City Jam on Sundays, perhaps I have to take him up on that.  I rarely get too relaxed on my sets, the stage fright might have something to do with that, but I was quite relaxed.  I must have been otherwise I would have not attempted Won't Get Fooled Again.  I hope to be this relaxed when I do the Artisan Sanctuary Acoustic Showcase tomorrow night.   It may be a while before I get back to jamming on the weeknights.

But if this was the last Wednesday Night Jam for a while, then  I think I did a pretty good finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.