Friday 29 September 2017

Long Branch Jam-Empty Bar Blues

Long Branch Supper Club-Cedar Rapids 9/29/17
Tony Nickels: Host

Songlist:

In The Midnight Hour*
Please Send Me Somebody To Love
Kansas City Blues*
Drawn In The Dark
Tulsa Time
Good Lovin/La Bomba
Switch Board Susan
Everybody's Talking
Ring Of Fire
Let's Work Together
Light My Fire
Simple Man


*Debut song

With:

Jeff Overly-Alto Saxophone and lead vocals on Simple Man
Tony Nickels-Percussion
Rodney Smith-Guitar and lead vocals

If this was the final acoustic jam for a while at the Long Branch it was a sad way to go out.  Kevin was the only other jammer there besides me and Jeff and John the bass player took off and so did Sophia, who wasn't feeling well.

It may have been the most sparse night of crowd too.  After 9, everybody left with the exception of the Long Branch staff, Jeff came in around 9 30 after doing a extended set with The Buzz at the Shack and he had been up at 4 AM, going to school and then making a bee line here from Burlington to help the musical cause.  So we didn't do Run Around, but did Simple Man instead till Jeff couldn't play sax anymore.  We did 12 songs which lasted over an hour and six minutes.  Given a couple of false starts.

In The Midnight Hour was debuted and expended so that Jeff could add some sax solo.  Kansas City Blues was based on the Wilbert Harrison song and made up on the spot.  Good Lovin was dusted off for shits and giggles.  And Ring Of Fire done the country way and throwing everybody off at the same time.   Tony wanted to do Let's Work Together so we did it but didn't do the medley of Keep Your Hands To Yourself, the last time Jeff was up here we threw that in.  Switch Board Susan has became a staple in the past couple gigs, it's easier to do with the laid back groove and Tony seemed to like it.   I think Tony would have prefer Logic And Lies as an original song to do than Drawn In The Dark, with all the fruity chords and middle passages.

Jams are a mixed bag and a double edge sward, certainly you want more people to show up but the drawback is that there's less songs to play (See Rumor's Wess Side Jams), whereas when nobody shows up, you can pretty much experiment with anything that comes to mind but with no customers there, jams become extinct over time.  Certainly the Long Branch has a nice area perfect to play jams and gigs at.  Once upon a time, it used to be called Kitty's but they rarely have bands anymore, but somehow Tony managed to score a gig hosting a acoustic jams on a Friday Night.  He's been battling the odds trying to get more musicians in but so far they have really been few and far between. With Belinda working a real job, and having to get up early just to drive down here (about 35 minutes away from CR, from my place it's 45 minutes) and when she has to wake up around 4 30 just to go to work, I accept that she won't be there all the time.  Steve Black Wolf still has not found his cat Pete after two weeks and  that's kept him away from the jams.   Jeff Overly, when he promises he'll be at a jam, I'll make time for him.   He stays true to his word.  We did talked a bit and I told him I wouldn't be at the Rumors Jam due to practice (now off) and off to see what the Stone City jam will be like.  I could go to Rumors anyway and support the cause, but the days are getting shorter and I need to take advantage of the sunshine before the snow and cold hits here.   And besides I can always come in to do my allowed three songs if need be.

I can't say if I'm making the transition to guitarist than drummer but I'm letting more people play percussion and drums than I am when I'm on stage.   I still think I'm more at home behind a drum set but in reality, it's fun to dictate what songs to play rather than the other way around.  Nevertheless Steve Black Wolf is sorely missed and here's hoping he can find his cat and start playing again. We really need him back on stage again.


Weekend wrap up:


(Ever get the feeling you're being watched Troy Mitchell?  Mike Fleck: Photo  Terry McDowell and Ian Jacoby looking in from the outdoors)

Saturday with Four Day Creep, I did Dreams I'll Never See Again. Amazing guitar work by Rick Clay as always.  Troy Mitchell is their drummer and he's the best.

Terry broke Troy's drum throne, so when you sat on it, it would drop about two feet.  Troy looked like he was drumming on the floor.  I don't think it was bad when I sat on it, but it did drop about a foot and half on me but I managed to keep a balance and keep the beat fairly well.   We suggested maybe doing a go fund me to get a replacement drummer's seat for Troy.  Which got a good laugh out of everybody.

Dan Moyer was there and took a photo of me playing with FDC, I have yet to see it.

Terry did join the fun just before closing, smashing away on Cheap Sunglasses and Whipping Post.  We chatted for a while after the gig and lost track of the time.  By the time I left the bar it was 2:30 and didn't get home till about 3 AM.  That may have explained why I didn't lobby hard for any playing at Rumors the next day.

The three best drummers were up there. Mike Serbousek, Terry and Troy Mitchell. Mike didn't play, he opted to go see the Ramones Tribute Band and somebody else.  I did catch his band Cocked N Loaded earlier in the afternoon as they played outdoors.  To which the question was what happened to the indoor stage? It went outside to support the outdoor bands. 8 Seconds played later.  Mike Fleck, owner of Aces And Eights Bar is lead singer of that band.



(Mike Clair, Tommy Bruner, Terry McDowell, Jeff Overly, R.Smith)
Karie Skogman: rock and roll hall of famer took the photo and the other two photos below

Sunday: Wess Side Jam at Rumors;

With

Karie Skogman-Lead Vocal on I Love Rock and Roll
Mike Clair-Lead Vocal on Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers, Guitar
Buddy Archbremmer-Lead Guitar
Jeff Langenburg-Bass
Jeff Overly-Sax
Terry McDowell-Host drummer

Notes: At least I got to jam with the Hall of fame rocker Karie Skogman once again.  She shows up to support the jams but rarely sings unless she has to.  And we did I Love Rock And Roll again.  I need to support her band a lot better than I have been.  She's a sweetheart.

Flawed Logic came down to play from Waterloo.  Bird, the guitar player from Rare Earth made a rare appearance but didn't play any Rare Earth songs.  Rocky Smith did play on his song setlist. T Ray Robertson couldn't make it due to illness but Jeff Overly was there and played the first hour.

I have been dealing with carpel tunnel issues and didn't think I would do any drum songs but I did two, including a sloppy version of Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers.  Most of the cymbals provided were from Rocky Smith's collection, a couple of K's a 16 inch Hybrid Crash and 17 inch K Dark Crash.  I Love Rock And Roll is real simple, just toms and snare. No cymbals.

Terry backed up Ernest the soul man on Bring It On Home and The Twist.



Above photo: R.Smith, Jim Reisner
Below photo: Karie Skogman, Buddy Archbremner, Ernest the soul man



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.