Saturday 2 September 2017

Weekend Jams-Labor Day Weekend

At Rumors'

Julie And The Mad Dogs Show at Rumors 9/1/17

With
Julie Gordon-Lead Vocals, guitar
Buddy Archbremner-Lead Guitar
Kevin Michael-Bass
Mike Serbousek-Drums
Steve Black Wolf-Guest Lead Singer

Songs that I played drums on  (in no particular order)

Kyponite*
Stop Draggin My Heart Around*
Johnny B Goode (Mike Serbousek; Lead Singer)*
Dreams**
Give Me One Good Reason**
The One That I Love**
These Boots Were Made For Walking**
Spirit In The Sky**
Wicked Game**
Rhiannon*
Knocking On Heaven's Door (Steve Black Wolf; Lead Vocals)**
Turn The Page (Steve Black Wolf: Lead Vocals)**

*Second Set
**Third Set

I'm sure there's a couple others missing from this list but those are the ones that I played drums on.

Mike broke his finger and originally asked me if I wanted to do the whole gig, to which I got into panic mode and asked Julie herself what was going on.  Eventually Mike did get back to me to say he has his drums set up before partaking the Cocked and Loaded gig.  I think he did very well considering the fact he broke his finger but I did spell him a bit.

Even though I did practiced before heading into town to help Mike, my playing was shaky for some reason.  Some positive moments, first time I attempted the 3 Doors Down song and it went better than expected and gave Wicked Game the subtle soft sound that was missing from the Rumors Jam of last month.  DJ Holvenstot helped Mike in the first set, while I spelled Mike on some numbers on the next couple sets, including two from Steve Black Wolf, fresh from the Long Branch Acoustic Jam to which I didn't play.  I ended up going to see Brass Transit at New Bo, which suffered from feedback problems all night.  Robby Wallace can be a bit of a ham, you know those high pitched singers, and the cliche's get a bit tiring after a while but that's the way he performs.  Then off to see Inch 75 before coming over to help Julie and Mike and Buddy and Kevin.   Some off the wall weirdness, some guy got bounced out of the place and somebody ran into a parked car.  I was disappointed that the Anamosa crowd didn't come out to support Julie And The Mad Dogs but perhaps they'll get the chance to see them later in the year.  However there were a few women there that got up to dance and even requested much to the chagrin of the band of Sweet Home Alabama.  To which the band obliged and Buddy would throw in some crazy guitar leads just to liven things up.   I figured that Julie has been very supportive of my musical journey that I would help her in any way I can with her band, even if it means sloppy versions of Spirit In The Sky or Rhiannon.

Julie says: You always make it more fun for us too Rodney! Loved having you play with us! You were totally cracking me up :) so fun!

On a side note: I asked Steve the next time we did Turn The Page if he wanted to do a uptempo version or the death march slower version and he said the uptempo version more so.  I tend to agree it's a better version and not so mundane.

Side note 2: I told Mike Nickels that I would be at the LongBranch Jam in spirit, to which he quipped Now appearing tonight  Rodney's Ghost.  Ha!


(Ed Butler)

Rumors Jam-9-3-17

With

T Ray Robertson-Guitar and vocals
Edward Butler-Steel Guitar and vocals
The Bear-Bass
The Crabb-Drums
Jeff Overly-Saxophone (Train, Jesus)

Songs:

Stay A Little Longer
It Takes  A Lot To Laugh It Takes A Train To Cry
Jesus Just Left Chicago


(Bear, Edward, Crabby, T Ray....it's a jam, nothing less, nothing more)
Photos by Tami Soukup (except where noted)

One thing about Ed Butler is that he's very unconventional when it comes to play songs with him. We never know what to expect. Or what's he will bring.  This time out, Ed bought his steel guitar.  Originally Kenny Webb was going to play bass but he didn't know Stay A Little Longer, the Bob Wills via Willie Nelson number so Mike Clair took over on bass.  In fact Mike would play bass on this segment.  Ed doesn't follow the songs to the recordings but does a lot of improvising.  But I do admire the way that Ed does throw out new songs.  I'm sure nobody has ever done It Takes A Lot To Laugh It Takes A Train To Cry.  Kenny Webb would later come up on stage with more familiar songs with Cecie And Peter Stark.  It's all good.   The only we did know was Jesus Just Left Chicago so we managed to nail most of that song.   I think the laid back of these songs made it a passable jam, considering that I did quite a bit Friday Night, it was nice just to keep it mellow.


(Duane Connaughton at Wild Hogs 9/2/17) (Photo from Blitzcreek)


(Duane on bass, his son Tor on drums, Ian Jacoby on vocals)


(Jeff Overly singing Runaround, T Ray on Guitar)

It was a strange jam.  Bart Carfizzi had his keyboards all ready to go but something happened and he himself took the keyboards down and stands and ran off.  Nobody knows why.  Usually his bad back and people are putting his keyboards together on stage but he himself did all the moving. Tim Wiley was there but he too didn't play either.  Jeff Overly came up from Fort Madison and we discussed doing some songs together but only played during Ed's set. Duane and his song Tor with Ian Jacoby and Rick Clay tore into some heavy metal sounds of Tomorrow, and Shine before Terry McDowell replaces Tor on Round And Round.

We had plenty of people show up eventually, including Ernest the soul man who ended things for the jammers with his Twist version to which a confusion of who was playing drums ensured till Terry returned back on stage.  For a celebration of the legacy of Bruce Stanley, it went well.

Side Note:  Two years ago this date, I played guitar live in front of the jammers for the first time.  It was at Wrigleyville and I played Let's Worth Together.  I used Dave Bonham's guitar, he played bass and T. Ray Robertson smashed cymbals. We have come full circle.

From Kenneth John  Webb (Don't let him fool you, he can rock it on bass)

Drummers will know this. I know where 1 is. Thanks buddy






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.