Thursday 31 August 2017

Thoughts From The Townedger August Edition


(Photo: Geoff Manis)

Going into a month of a two year operation of returning to the stage  I have managed to strike a balance between my guitar player and drumming.  While it's been easy playing drums backing somebody up, playing guitar on the other hand is a challenge, especially if you haven't jammed with them before.  I would have to say on a whole, that I enjoy backing up female vocalists a bit more.  Not because they're sexier than us guys but rather they have distinctive voices that can enable a song into something much more.

I have been blessed to play drums behind Tiffany Z when she sang What's Up, the insufferable 4 Non Blondes song that everybody plays. Tiffany plays in 50 Shades Of Rock and remains one of the best drummers in the area, she now lives in La Crosse but still plays from time to time.  Another highlight was playing for Cecie and Peter Stark on a couple songs, both play in the Dunshee Moon.  She has a nice soft rock vocals for songs such as Fleetwood Mac's Dreams. Perfect for that MOR soft rock as well, Cecie remains a true vocal gem.

There are others that I shared the stage a few times.  The hard rock hows of Karie Skogman, Iowa's direct link to Lita Ford/Joan Jett all in one.  She's not only the leader of Lipstick Slick but she's Lipstick Slick herself.  And most recently became part of the Iowa Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.  I have never played much along side Dawn Sedelcek, the Toxic Blonde/Thereshold lead singer.  Kim Trevellion has a vocal that is part Janis Joplin part Pat Benetar.  Her take on Gold Dust Woman is night and day compared to Julie Gordon.  Julie is more Stevie Nicks, Kim is Lizzy Hale, works quite well for hard rock.   Lorie Parker has a nice middle range vocals, Cathy Hart, mostly straight country. Abigail Bunker, for a 11 year old can sing better than a lot of folks out there.  She might be fronting her own band once she reaches the legal age for playing in bars.

The two female singers that have been a part of this coming out period you pretty much know by heart. Julie Gordon and Belinda James.  Jules is better known for her work with Luscious Green and Julie And The Mad Dogs with Kyle Oyloe. How I figured into her life remains a mystery but somehow we got together to do our own version of Gold Dust Woman and sometimes Come Together.  When Kyle was alive, we didn't associate at all, I was trying to combat stage fright and didn't open much to anyone.  I didn't speak to her on the Tribute to Kyle after his passing in October of 2015, she had most of the musicians in town helping her and I didn't know her.  Over time on the next jam she went to, she sat at my table  although we didn't speak all that much.  Eventually with the Acouta Kitties and The Mad Dogs we did begin to enjoy the time together on stage.  She lives for the music.  In fact, music is her boyfriend, I'm just a passenger on the  highway of life and somehow our paths crossed.  She also keeps busy with Dreams Of Arcadia with Ryan Matthew Paul.  He is a better match for her style of music rather than the dark and mundane music that I do.  They are both restless souls but the music that they do together really works.  Speaking of which, I became friends with Kyle two years ago this date.  Time is really passing by faster than it should be.  In the past few months of hanging with the beloved Julie, the guys, particularly Martin mentioned how well we complimented each other on stage.  It's true, she brings a new and exciting element to what I do.

The other singer Belinda James has been more instrumental in being involved with projects and jams.   When it comes to pure singers, Miss B as I call her can sing just about anything.  Since knowing her almost two years ago when Terry McDowell paired us up to do her versions of Blue Bayou and Fever she has become a good musician friend.  She may need a walker to get around town and has to sit down to sing but I can say she knows how to sing.  Plus she can relate to just about anything we throw at her.  If Julie is the satin to the songs, Belinda is the lace.

The acoustic summer tour is now done.  And I would like the thank everybody for the support.  Tony Nickles in particular for making the Friday Night acoustic jams more meaningful.  I will try to frequent the jams if and when I can once our busy season starts up again.  I've seen to gotten a bit tired of the jam circuit and since we have been busy at work this week decided to take a vacation from that off.  There'll be a few select dates I'll be playing but there'll be few and far between.

The Townedgers albums are done, they been promoted and played on occasion but already a couple songs have been retired.  I have lived through the situation that made Logic and Lies a reality.  And the songs did write themselves.  Having a overactive mind helped a great deal, but an overactive mind is a double edged sword.  I went through many stages of going through hell in the songwriting process and the guys in the band suffered for that. But I think in the end we managed to capture the moment.   There' is talk about doing another album for 2018 and I'm sure something will come out of it.

For the rest of the year, it looks to be that I'll be doing the band collective with Belinda James and Mark Randolph called The Egads! With Tim Nemec and Larry Axelman we have a pretty good band going on.  In the background still remains something with my best friend Russ Swearingen and with Tom back in town, we might have something to start a new band. Of course I have been saying that for years but I maintained that I would find time to do something with Russ if and when the time comes around.   But I do know that quitting my job to play in bands isn't going to make me any more money than working as a dishwasher somewhere.  To hell to  pay to play bars.  I've done enough damage on my back toting drums and heavy amps to set up at some bars.  At least give me gas money to get back home.

About me hosting my very own jam shows? Nope, not happening. No offers.

At least I can give Tim Wiley kudos for doing a jam, unfortunately, nobody bother to show up for the few ones that he did host.  But then again, having a 5 to 7 jam on a Wednesday afternoon doesn't help the cause either. We're still on good terms but except for jamming once in a while, I won't be part of the Wiley Kats.

This weekend, Kyle Oyloe and Brook Hoover along with Karie Skogman will be honored for their placement in the Iowa Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Brook and Kyle for their work in the Surf Zombies and Meekats, and Karie for being one of the dominant female rockers for her 40 years of rock and roll in the area.  Kyle's spirit will be there.

And it will be one year since Bruce Stanley left this world too.  I continue to feel the emptiness of him not around  at Siegal's Pawn and Jewelry and since they no longer are selling CDs, I have not bought anything of note since Bruce's passing at Siegal's.


(Troy Mitchell. Photo courtesy of Blitzcreek)

I think this was asked before about great drummers in town and to be honest, everybody has their own style that makes them great.  Mike Serbousek is one that I enjoy watching play.  Terry McDowell, best modern rock style drummer, he's very proficient playing grunge music.  For pure rock and roll, it's Troy Mitchell, I've seen him play in Inch 75 and Four Day Creep and he makes it so easy when he plays.  Great guy and a rocker all the way.

So far the most requested songs from Logic And Lies...the title track and Mystery Girl.  The Promise Flower, Love's Guessing Game and It's Just A Notion have been debuted once for each song.  Jeff Overly did a fine sax solo on Love's Guessing Game.

The picture above that you see was a shot of a fan taking a photo of The Dawn in the park and he managed to catch me sitting on the bench watching the band from far away.  Somehow while looking through some photos of that show I managed to find myself in this one.  I really don't like having my picture taken, I can never find the right smile or profile when a photo gets taken.  But as you can see I have managed to get a few pictures from jam highlights courtesy of other folks.  To which I give them full credit when need be.  Don't worry Geoff, I don't consider it photobombing but it really does give something to the photo when I see myself in the darkness watching a band.  You managed to get my good side. LOL.

Till next time folks, here's a recent selfie promoting Logic And Lies.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.