Tuesday 8 August 2017

Parlor City Blues Jam-The Parallel Of The Blues

With:

Tim Wiley-Guitar and Vocals (One Way Out, Crossroads)
Adam Dinschel-Guitar
Dan Johnson-Bass and Vocals (Tore Down)

Drums provided by Jon Wilson

Songs:
Killing Time Blues Exchange Between Me and Adam
One Way Out
Tore Down
Crossroads



(John Hernandez from Full Circle Band. One of the best supporters of music and jams in town)

So everybody gets a second chance.  The last time I crossed paths with Tim was the weekend before and the speed metal version of Crossroads.  This time out, I played it straight and a bit more slower. The big surprise was hearing how damn good Adam can play on lead guitar as well.  The interplay between Adam and Tim on One Way Out was mind blowing and got the longest applause I ever heard.


(Tim Wiley, Kevin Simnacher-photo)

I don't mind jamming with Tim Wiley, he still always requests me to join him on stage and I love him for that.  He still doesn't extend the songs past the original way they play them.  Dan Johnson had to add a few more eight bars on One Way Out to give both Tim and Adam equal time to show off their guitar playing skills.   Tim doesn't stay around, once he's done, he's gone.  At least he was spared from the speed version of Crossroads.  Much to Adam's relief that I didn't amp it up either.

Quite a all star lineup with Brook Hoover, Tom Giblin, Dan Johnson and Jon Wilson the main hosts but plenty of the Rumors jammers showed up.  Bart and Terry (both didn't play but it was fun chatting with Terry on my idle times), Ed Butler did his Dyer Maker song to which Terry told him next time he wanted to jam with him on the drum part.   Also, Ed Butler was there (he managed to give me a couple of fish sticks he didn't eat for supper, thank you brother) and John Hernandez too, although he didn't play either.  But it was fun just to chat with Ed, Terry and John.

Once again Jon ended up using his 32 inch bass drum, which looks good for shock value. And of course some of the most darker sounding Sabian crash rides that he brings to the jams. A trashy crash but better suited for riding,most of the time I used more hi hat accents rather than crashing the cymbals.  And trying to play a more quieter and funkier sort of drumming.  One of the regulars there is Dr. George Hanna, a local dentist that has the best sort of jazzy playing for Parlor City.  Next to Jon Wilson, Hanna swings the beat.  In my case, I'm more of a rock drummer, and like Terry play a bit more louder than usual.  I like the way that Tommy Giblin compliments me on the way I play, no frills and no showing off.  Of course I had to learn not to do that from previous times of over the top drumming.  In two years of jamming and interacting with fellow musicians, I can adapt to any type of playing, for Parlor City blues jam it is a more laid back and controlled drumming, for Rumors it depends on who is playing what.  If it's hard rock, it will be more intense and louder, for mellower Pink Floyd subtle and somewhere finding a middle ground.   With Brook Hoover, he has a eccentric side that opens up my eccentric side; he mentioned about doing some new music with his own sort of guitar wizardry and I would love to invade his place and lay a few tracks down.  Unlike Jon Wilson who has some sort of disciplined way of drumming, mine is more over the top and all over the place. Brook has done stuff with The Meekats and Surf Zombies and while I talk about it, I do find it a bit imitating to see if I add the beats to his music.  It's a challenge but I think it would be worthwhile and fun too.   I told him if he has a afternoon free, I'll be happy to stop on by.  By then I probably out of a job the way things are going at my place of employment.  Having a worthless CEO talking layoffs to which we're spread thin and Mr CEO giving himself a raise.  Bollocks to him.   It has gotten to the point at work, that I'd rather take ATO and not get paid then get stuck trying to unwrap and rewrap future stuff for our clients.   In fact tonight's jam did take me out of the doldrums of a thankless job that pays the bills but offers no satisfaction when people are screaming to look busy when the boss is around.

To which I said if they rather I took ATO, I'll do that,  And I did.  And went looking for a few cheap cds and 45s at the thrift store before heading to Parlor City tonight.  I have to have some sort of fun in this life than working a crappy job and hearing people bitch about everything 24/7.  Although the jams don't pay anything, it does give me some sort of fun and satisfaction in a world of uncaring CEOs, Republicans that don't listen to anything and the worthless president of all time.   Whose name shall be nameless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.