Sunday 6 August 2017

Rumors Jam 8/6/17 Less Jammers More Songs To Play

Song List:

Ride Captain Ride
Best Of My Love
Wish You Were Here
Drift Away
Gimme One Good Reason
Gold Dust Woman
Heaven (attempted)
Have You Ever Seen The Rain
We're An American Band

With

Bart Carfizzi-Keyboards
Joe Hutchcroft-Lead Vocals 1-3, 7,8
Kim Trevallion-Lead Vocals 4-6
Adam Dinschel-Lead Guitar 1-2
Mike Clair-Lead Guitar 3-9
Mark Awad-Bass 1-6
John Hernandez-Bass 7-9

Terry McDowell-Host

A very small turnout and only Joe and myself were the only drummers that showed up.  Trevor was practicing with Tim Wiley on the new version of The Wiley Kats   With less jammers, it means more songs for me to play.  It's been a while since I have done 8 songs in a single setting.  For the first time, Terry requested that I play more softly.  I ended up taking the ear plugs out of my ears after that.

Joe would rather have somebody play drums while he's singing and he did look a bit out of his comfort zone trying to sing Bad Time and play drums but I believe he did a nice job.  On my segment we cut out the boisterous drum into to We're An American Band and basically kept things on the mellow side after Ride Captain Ride.


(Kim Trevallion)

Last month Kim came up and we did three songs together, this time out, she did Drift Away and the Tracy Chapman bar staple of Gimme One Good Reason before doing a version of Gold Dust Woman. As advertised, Kim delivered a more powerful version, owing more to Halestorm rather than Fleetwood Mac.  By now Gold Dust Woman has taken on a whole new meaning since learning it in April and having Julie Gordon singing it.   I have always said that Julie has the best version of G.D.W, more in line with Stevie Nicks and the intention. of that song.  Kim offers more of a modern rock edge, plus she's blues shouter too.  I have a different mindset of playing drums to G.D.W, with Julie I tend to have a more stripped down and basically it's a high hat keeping time, with Kim, I did a lot of tom tom work and cymbal accents.  I could probably work up the same sort of beat for Julie if and when the time comes around.   Julie seems to be feeling better of late, she managed to call me this afternoon.

Mark Awad managed to become host bass player for the first time and he did follow with the songs very well, John Hernandez took over when Bart wanted to do Heaven, the Los Lonely Boys song but could not sing it, so we called Joe back on stage to do the final two songs.   Greg Mein and his lovely wife came up later but since I did 8 songs I couldn't back them up.  And had to get to the recycling center before the sun set so I didn't stay around very long.

Side Note:  While trying to remember the songs that I did, I forgot that we did Wish You Were Here, the Pink Floyd song.  Mike Clair is playing a Pink Floyd Tribute Show at the Paramount this Saturday Night.  With so many bands and happenings I wish I could be at them all but I am committed to the Whittier Acoustic Jam first, unless they canceled it, then I can make it to some of the events happening. Mostly the one close to home would be The Merles, Jerry Scott's long time band playing at Stone City.  He never did get back to me about joining his band when I seen him at Bruce Stanley's funeral last year.   Long time ago, Dewayne Schminkey played that song when he was part of the Open Highway Band.



(The Smokin Guns Band-Donna Shaw Photo credit )

Side note 2:  Saturday Night I spent most of it down at Aces And Eights watching the new and improved Smokin Guns, the band that John Shaw leads.  The guitar players remain the only constant of that band, revolving around others, Mike Serbousek recently joined up and Lorie Parker from Sirenz and the Hart/Parker Band was guest vocalist.  I have a hard time trying to figure if they're a straight country band or rock band as a country band.  Mike will be doing drums for Cocked N Loaded this weekend.  We're probably meet up when Julie And The Mad Dogs hit Rumors on September 1st.  By then Julie should be ready to take the stage again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.