Wednesday 2 August 2017

Checkers Acousta Crabby Jam 8/2/17

Songlist

For Shame Of Doing Wrong*
Logic And Lies
Summertime Blues*
If I Were A Carpenter/
For What It's Worth

*Debut

Hosts: Cathy Hart and Lorie Parker

As my days of playing at jams are slowly coming to an end once our place of employment starts getting more work coming in, I've been kinda out of it, due to back issues and of course the usual depression crap that sets in.  Since Sunday I have not felt very well and while Crossroads got on the video highlights, my famous ending to that song ended up on the cutting room floor, or simply deleted from the digital camera.  So much for being a You Tube star.

For debuts, For Shame Of Doing Wrong was played.  I think it's better suited for Belinda James to do the lead vocals but unlike Gold Dust Woman, a man can sing it just as well.  Summertime Blues was also played for the first time, mostly in the way Eddie Cochran played it but with John Entwistle's bass vocals for the punchline.  We had the most jammers there tonight than the last three weeks put together, which meant less songs to play.  Best way to counter that is to do songs in a medley, go from one into another to which If I Were A Carpenter went into For What Its Worth.   I wasn't feeling the best, and Summertime Blues and If I Were A Carpenter can be done in two and a half minutes.

For my set, there were no other musicians on stage with me.  Wasn't planned that way, and being half crocked on muscle relaxers and sweet tea perhaps it was for the best.  I think my vocals were okay, I could have stayed home but I had to support the cause.  And besides Cathy and Lorie are total sweethearts.  Just like Julie and Ryan.  Afterwards Sofia Chesney tried to talk me into playing Hallelujah and showed me the chords but there's so many chords and changes that I couldn't pull it off.  Since Mark Randolph is back on the scene, she will have to use him.  She's a sweetheart too.

Shawn Ster was there and after his set, he went outside and did a bunch of songs for some admirers and from I have heard made about 70 dollars in tips!    Wish I had the knack of pulling that one off too.


(Photo: Cathy Spina   Sometimes you have to smile to get through the pain of life. Mike Frederick in the background)


(Lorie Parker's Hubby  Luther  He always has the funniest look on his face after telling a joke or two)

On a side note, Gary Tallman who played in Slap And Tickle passed away.  He was 64.  I have noticed that we have lost a few local musicians in town from cancer or heart attacks.   Julie is getting her knee replaced tomorrow, knowing her, she'll make a comeback in time to do the Mad Dogs show on September 1. As always I wish her well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.