Saturday 19 August 2017

The Weekend Jams-Angel Of Cosmic Revolution

Longbranch Supper Club Acoustic Jam with Tony Nickels Host 8/18/17

Songs:

Light My Fire*
Spanish Harlem Incident*
Sundown
Logic And Lies
Everybody's Talking
No Expectations
Cuts Like A Knife
Let's Work Together**
You Can't Always Get What You Want***

*Debut Song

**
With
Joe Joyal-Bass
Zac Nickels-Drums

***
With
Tommy Bruner-Lead vocals and guitar
Mark Randolph-Guitar
Joe Joyal-Bass and backing vocals
Zac Nickels-Drums
R.Smith-guitar and backing vocals


(Toxic Blonde: Photo by Brian Smith)

The first week of my vacation has really come and gone in an blink of an eye.  I spent three hours trying to clean the bathroom only to had better luck flooding the bedroom with water trying to clean the scum off the bathroom walls.   Fighting a losing battle.  I basically then got into town to check out a few bands playing, Angelina Presley was down in New Bo, Jon Wilson playing drums, she was dance pop.  Jon is very good playing that type of music, he can adapt to most anything, from the jam sound of Grateful Dead devotees, Winterland to the smooth R and B grooves to Parlor City jam and with Brook Hoover but also keen on playing dance music.  After about five songs, I went to CRL to see Toxic Blonde, the band of Troy Harper, Dawn Sedelcek and Terry McDowell and heard a few songs and said hi to Bob Gleason and co worker Dan Moyer and Tami Soukup.  And off to Checkers' to see the debut of Sirenz, which is Cathy Hart, Lorie Parker and Barb Myers for about an hour and said hi to the whole gang.

Not a lot of jammers tonight at the Long Branch but a few more did show up.  my bandmates from the Modern Rock and Folk AARP group Mark Randolph and Tim Nemec but didn't chat with Tim. He pretty much went home after they finished up and part of my set.  So much for band unity.   Anyway, two new songs were brought out.  Light My Fire, the old Doors song via Jose Feliceano. Then for the first time Spanish Harlem Incident, even though it goes all the way back to the Wapsi Dreamers album.  All songs were solo till Let's Work Together came up and then Zac and Joe helped out.   Tommy Bruner, fresh from playing with the Past Masters in Hiawatha came down and did a few songs after my set and then invited us up to do You Can't Always Get What You Want. The first song that we ever played together, usually I'm on drums when he's playing guitar. (actually we attempted to do For What Its Worth but since he played it in a different key, I ended up playing air guitar, so in reality this was the first true song we jammed together with me on guitar). It was nice to chat with Tommy on the Rolling Stones song, he was actually amazed that I did No Expectations  I'm sure he can do a good version of that song on his next acoustic adventure.  Course we all know that there's more to The Rolling Stones than just Brown Sugar or Satisfaction.  Even Dead Flowers.

Side Note:  Mark Randolph did his own version of Knocking On Heaven's Door and then Tim and Rose then did For What Its Worth so I didn't play either songs.  I figured I had enough other songs to compensate the loss of those in my set list.  Also, I spent last night for two hours trying to transcribe the lyrics to Tommy Keene's Turning On Blue and while I did a couple run through's, I didn't feel comfortable enough to play that, nor Every Picture Tells A Story.  I did practice Light My Fire enough to debut it and it went well.  While Logic And Lies the album is now out, I pretty much limiting that album to the title track and Mystery Girl.   I may attempt to do The Promise Flower if and when Julie is around to host a jam when she gets back in action but as far as I'm concerned that song may have ran its course.  The record has just been released to the world and I am already to move on the next batch of songs of another new album project.

Good vibes from Tony Nickels:
 Rodney man, you're my favorite act that comes out, because I never know what the heck song is coming next. Thanks brother.

(that makes two of us!  Every song I do is a new adventure and no two are done the same, As long as I have a Friday Night available, I'll do my best to support your efforts brother! R.S)


(Belinda James)

Rumors Wess Side Jam (Photos by Kevin Simnacher)

With:

Belinda James-Vocals
Mark Randolph-Guitar
Mike Clair-Guitar
Jay  Anderson-Bass

Songs:
Fever
Stormy Monday Blues

I would have been very disappointed had I missed another pairing with my bandmates of the Band Collective called The Egads! but Terry McDowell did me join Belinda and Mark for the two best known songs that we do. Mighty nice of him to do that.  A lotta jammers today and more folks coming up made this a very short set of songs.  I was kinda stoic on Fever but Stormy Monday had a bit more swing to it.  Belinda continues to really nailed the ending of that song.


(Rick Wiegel and Mark Randolph)

Notes: Not many.  Got there late so Rick Wiegel played drums for the first two songs, but I do think Belinda wanted to do Fever with me playing drums.  Kevin Simnacher did shoot some videos and took picture but by the time we got to playing he was packed up and ready to go.  After my stint, I had to go get things done.  We are losing daylight so I wanted to enjoy the walk around New Bo and making a trip to my place of employment to put in this week's time sheet since  nobody was there.  Kenny Webb played bass earlier on You Can't Always Get What You Want, Trevor on drums.   Terry continues to do a good job getting jammers on stage, even when I'm late. Usually, no shortage of drummers and there's no guarantee about getting the ones I'd want to jam with on stage.  For the forthcoming of fall and winter I tend to spend more time out on the walking trails.  Next weekend is Davenport so there won't be no Rumor's Jam for me.

(The Bear)




Parlor City Blues Jam

With

Dan Johnson, Ryan Phelan and Tom Giblin

Three songs, One was a jam the second one was a song called Come With Me and sang by a female patron and the last one was Slipping And Sliding, a Little Richard number.  DJ loves Little Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.